Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Tommy V said my car may be sick.....

Old 04-07-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain, dude.

Next time come to Wilmy for Tech Day and get a FREE valve adjustment.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:33 PM

Yeah I ended up talking to the service mamanger b/c the douchebag didn't tell me he was taking half a day off. the bad thing was that the service manager has been gold to me until now where I explained my predicament. I couldn't make myself bitch like an asshole to get this reduced in price due to the fact that they goodwilled me a new plastic window and a free clutch last year. So I paid the fee.

What ALSO pissed me off was that when I got home and looked at the service paper, the in mileage was 72,457. The OUT mileage was 72,478!!!!!!!!!! What the hell did they need to drive 21 miles for? Must have been hard to resist to drive a modified S2000 on a beautiful day!

To sum it up, the noise is still there, but the good thing of it all was that I found out that in cylinder #2, the 2 exhaust valves were so loose they were about to fall out, or whatever they do when they go bad. So I saved myself a little.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:09 AM

I need to come over to someone's house and compare engine sounds.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:55 PM

ditto
Old 04-11-2006, 12:11 PM

well I called Tommy yesterday and he told me to swing by to talk to the shop foreman. I did, and he said "let's go for a spin". We get away from the service area and I stop, let him listen and tell him how I believe it's the timing chain tensioner, people have told me it is the timing chain tensioner, and I paid double for a valve job already that has been claimed to fix the noise.

He goes on to describe how the tensioner works and why it makes a noise when going bad and agrees with me that it is the tensioner. He can't believe why no one looked at it before, especially since I recommended someone look at it to begin with.

He looks up the part/labor/stock. It is claimed to be a 5.1 hour job pay rate. They can't get a part in until Wednesday the 19th. So I will be playing Japanese Roulette until then.

I have to admit that Tommy was a nice guy the whole time we were face to face. It is the frustration of having someone put excess miles on my car, me having to overpay for something that should have been warranty work, and having to come back 3 times to resolve.

So brandon, I believe you need to order that tensioner from the website I referred you to. You had the same noise.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:24 PM

yeah i believe so dre, the noise was very audible the other morning... i'll purchase tht thing soon...
Old 04-12-2006, 09:34 AM

ordered my tensioner lst nite... hope to have it end of ths week or 1st of next and get it switched out... ths situation concerns me greatly so im getting it taken car of asap... got it from majestic honda, $109...
Old 04-12-2006, 05:14 PM

that's the right price! Was shipping reasonable?

You gonna try to put this on yourself?
Old 04-12-2006, 06:39 PM

right at $19 with UPS ground... i think so... a guy at work who i've known 4 awhile and seen his work, has all the tools and knowledge as an ASE mechanic... i saved the pics from another post on ths through searching for TCT DIY... well detailed and straight-forward... showed it to him and he said no prob... so are u totally resolved or no?
Old 04-12-2006, 07:08 PM

nah, tommy said he would have to call and get authorization for the work from the warranty rep. this was tuesday at 2:30 PM It's 11PM wednesday and no call

Brandon, aren't you glad you came to eat with us in Charlotte though? You found out you had to fix something you weren't aware of

Maybe next time you come down you won't find anything fishy!

Quick Reply: Tommy V said my car may be sick.....