Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Tommy V said my car may be sick.....

Old 03-24-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tommy V said my car may be sick.....

So I drop off my car to get the oil changed, and while I'm there I wanted Tommy to have the tech. listen in to see if my timing chain tensioner was going bad. I was getting a loud noise sounding like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle. Noise picks up volume and speed as I increase RPM.

The tech screened the oil and found no metals or any contaminants. He was actually very surprised how clean the oil looked after 5,500 miles. Considering how much I've been pushing the car lately due to the warm weather and the zoo MED, the oil level was right on! But then again, I've never had a problem with burning oil.

The tech DID however tell me the noise sounds like it is oil pressure related. If not that, it could be a problem with the timing chain itself. Or perhaps some bearing(s) are bad. (where are the bearings?) They can't tell for sure, until the drop the oil pan and remove the chain. To the tune of $150 for a two hour diagnostic fee!!!!

Well, I have the Hendrick Autoguard 100K warranty which covers lots more than just engine and drivetrain. I'm hoping that they find something bad to cover under warranty so I don't have to come out of pocket to ensure me a "noise" is o.k. or not. At the same time I hope they find nothing wrong at all, but wish I don't have to spend $150.

Anyone here have any comments/advice? Never had a problem with engines like this---pressure related perhaps?
Old 03-24-2006, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The t-chain tensioner is ~$125 and takes 10 minutes to replace. I'd do that first and see if your noise goes away. What you describe sounds exactly like what my tensioner sounded like before I replaced it.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:23 PM

Is the tensioner just a normal "wear and tear" item?
Old 03-25-2006, 03:54 AM

The tensioner should NOT be a wear and tear item. Unfortunately, we've got bad ones.

Replacing it is one of the easiest things you can do yourself. Get hardtopguy to send you one and save some money.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:13 AM

Is the chain tensioner thing a problem for a specific year or to all the earlier S's?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:27 AM

As far as I know, it's the same part across all s2000's.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:23 AM

Ive read some about ths issue and concerned too... is it noticeable at idle or at all RPM's, mine has the clutch buzz issue and hard to hear much else at deacceleration... Dre ours sounded the same at idle, basically... not xactly sure what im listening 4 100% though...
Old 03-27-2006, 12:30 PM

It starts out as just a brief noise after a cold start, progresses to audible at idle, then gets to the point that it gets louder with revs.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:14 PM

exactly Sc_highlander! You described it right on. Now the issue I have is that I have the Hendrick "autoguard 100K warranty" and Tommy told me off the top of his head that the tensioner is a wear and tear item and would not be covered under warranty. I have about 200 bucks spending money for the next two weeks....so it's either buy this or register for MB.....hmm...wish I could get it warrantied.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:21 PM

would the timing chain tensioner be covered under any of these choices:

1. Drivetrain: Engine, Transmission, Differential and Axles

2. Electronics: Computers, Electronic Components and Electrical System

If so, my contract says it covers these parts.

also I found this site. Help me out in identifying the tensioner. Is it number 12 in this pic? If so, is 109.60 a good price?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...SHAFT-CAM+CHAIN

Quick Reply: Tommy V said my car may be sick.....