Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Tips for spectating at a racing event?

Old 09-21-2012, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for spectating at a racing event?

I'm getting married this October, and to celebrate, my brother decided we should take a "bachelor party" trip up to CT to see the grand-am championship races at Lime Rock. There will be a few of us there, and I'm really looking forward to it, especially since iRacing has given me quite the familiarity with Lime Rock.

I've never been to a professional race like this before...never been to a real track before (well, I did see a NASCAR race at Bristol last year, for what it's worth). Can anyone make any recommendations about how to get the most out of the weekend? We will be there Friday and Saturday, staying in Hartford (Marriott points).
Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 AM

I like everything hecash said. I like to walk the entire track during practices/qualifying to get a sense of the entire track and the best parts. It's a ton of walking. I'm not sure if Grand-Am is like ALMS where the pits are always open but definitely be in the pits while cars are on the track at some point - seeing the team in action and being up close and personal with the cars is awesome.

Bring your own snacks and water in a cooler if it's allowed. Much cheaper and you get to pick what you want and not have to stand in lines. If you're into photography, rent (unless you already own one) a good telephoto or two. I always want to get closer with my shots but never can.

I find the support races a lot of fun to watch and you can get really good seats typically since a lot of people don't care for it.

I'm not sure how Lime Rock is but a lot of tracks have an upgraded parking section that's more than worth it, IMO. After an exhausting day of walking and watching racing, hiking back to a car is no fun.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:09 AM

I'll be working in the TRG pits. Come swing by and say hello.

-Sam
Old 09-24-2012, 10:37 AM

Sam, I'll look for you, thanks.

We did get the infield parking pass, so that should help in the hiking around department. I appreciate all the tips.

-Scott

Originally Posted by LandR
I'll be working in the TRG pits. Come swing by and say hello.

-Sam