Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Thinking about moving to NC from NORCAL....?

Old 08-21-2009, 08:01 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Thinking about moving to NC from NORCAL....?

Hey all,

I'm not sure if this is the right section since you guys also have a Smoky Mountains section? What is the difference between the two?

We are thinking about relocating out to N. Carolina (RTP area) so we can go back to school. Just wanted to ask you guys for tips / info on best areas to live, night life, social gatherings, etc?

Orginally from Chicago but have lived in norcal for almost the past 10 years and not sure how N.Carolina is? I know a few years back Raleigh was voted best city to live?

How's the job market and housing market out there?

thanks in advance
rick
Old 08-21-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

the smoky mountain forum is east Tennessee.

RTP is great. very laid back, very affordable, tons of jobs.

I lost my job a month ago and already have a higher paying job.

As far as living, i like Raleigh. it is more grown up than Chapel Hill and WAY less expensive. More things to do for 25-35 yo.

I grew up in the midwest, but love it here. just dont bring the west coast drama with you.

My wife is a realtor if you are looking, she can also help out with apartments.

Dave
Old 08-21-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bring me some new headlights when you come!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:49 AM

My shop will remain in norcal most likely and be run by my friends so we can easily ship headlights to your region

thanks for the info and tips on geographical locations. I noticed the traffic on this board is not as fast paced....guess nothing beats crazy cali for modded cars!

We will be looking for 3-4 car garage homes out there and most likely make a trip soon to check out the area.

rick
Old 08-21-2009, 12:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

what kind of shop do you own in cali?
Old 08-21-2009, 05:19 PM
mlc

If you are planning on heading out this way and your schedule is flexible we get together every first Saturday of the month. Here is the last meet thread https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=716441. we usually have anywhere from 10 to 20 S2K's and some cool other rides.

This is a great area and we have a good group of S2K's. Come on out and meet everyone.

Kevin
Old 08-27-2009, 06:59 AM

Thanks I sure will - our plan is to visit Labor Day weekend or soon after to check out the RTP area

rick
Old 08-27-2009, 10:07 AM
mlc

Originally Posted by s4play,Aug 27 2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks I sure will - our plan is to visit Labor Day weekend or soon after to check out the RTP area

rick
Hey rick, we are getting together on the 5th https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=725241.

If you can make it out please feel free to join us. We meet with the triangle italians so you will see some nice rides for sure.

Kevin
Old 08-27-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by s4play,Aug 21 2009, 02:49 PM
My shop will remain in norcal most likely and be run by my friends so we can easily ship headlights to your region

thanks for the info and tips on geographical locations. I noticed the traffic on this board is not as fast paced....guess nothing beats crazy cali for modded cars!

We will be looking for 3-4 car garage homes out there and most likely make a trip soon to check out the area.

rick
I actually just moved to the RTP area less than a month ago, but I moved to Wilmington, NC from Long Island 2 years ago so I'm not completely new to NC. Personally, I have found that Raleigh is the one place in NC that is the most like back home with lots of jobs, educated people, and a decent economy. Wilmington was more like the land that time forgot, much like other parts of NC (no offense to anyone, this is just my opinion as an outsider looking in).

Although I haven't been living in Raleigh for very long, I did make a lot of trips back and forth to here while I was living in Wilmington so I have a good feel for the area. So far, I really enjoy living here as its an area that is still reasonably affordable without having to sacrifice much in return.

I'm pretty familiar with the real estate market over here as well being that my father, brother, and I are contractors so when you decide on where you would like your home with a 3-4 car garage built, feel free to drop me a line. We are actually starting construction on a 3500sqft home in N. Raleigh with an oversized 3 car garage pretty soon.

Overall, its a very nice place to live, and to raise a family. As far as the car scene goes, its not quite as large as it was back home on LI, but compared to other parts of the state, I'd say that there is a good car scene here. Of course, nothing compares to Cali so your expectations might be a little higher than most.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:05 PM

thanks for the replies!

I'm actually here in RTP area for the next few days over Labor day weekend. Appreciate all the cool advice!

It's definitely not like norcal for sure but we'll be exploring this area the next few days. I heard about Governor's Club and the houses over there

rick

Quick Reply: Thinking about moving to NC from NORCAL....?