Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Is there such a thing as...

Old 02-14-2006, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there such a thing as...

Here's the story:

I just put in my two week notice today (that's me waving goodbye) however my boss told me that he didn't need me to finish working it out (think he was a little upset about me quitting). So as the title implies I am looking for work until I start my new job. So if anybody in the Huntersville area is looking for some help let me know!
Old 02-14-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Huh? - I don't think you can be fired after giving in a two-week notice - you shouldget paid for that time.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Feb 14 2006, 07:49 PM
Huh? - I don't think you can be fired after giving in a two-week notice - you shouldget paid for that time.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:10 PM

One of the many reasons I am glad to be out of the car business, I just checked the employees handbook and under the heading Termination of Employment:

Resignation - Employees who find it necessary to resign from the Company should give at least two weeks written notice to their Manager. This will give the Company an opportunity to arrange for a replacement. Qualified employees who resign with proper two (2) week written notice will be eligible for payment of any unused vacation benefits. To be valid, the two-week notice must be given in good faith, that is, the employee must be willing and available to work through the end of the notice. It is then the Manager's option to require the employee to work through the end of the notice or release the employee from all or part of the obligation. Employees who resign with proper notice may be consider for re-hire at a later date.

As you can see it was my Mgr. option to RELEASE me from my obligation.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:18 PM

Um, no. NC is an "At Will" state. Unless there was a contractual arrangement providing for severence pay, it ain't gonna happen.

Two week jobs abound. They usually don't pay more than minimum wage, but you might just luck out. In Wilmy you could work as an extra on a movie set, a gaffer (that's like a gofer for movie stars) or on a fishing boat.

Or doing yard work in my yard.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the inside info on Wilmy, however I think the commute might be a little too long for me
Old 02-15-2006, 05:25 AM

In sales two weeks notices are rarely worked out. I know I have had several sales positions that I have given my two week notice and was told to just go home. You said you work in cars right? Do you sell them? Because that was my prior job and the same thing happened to me. Anyway good luck
Old 02-15-2006, 05:55 AM

Yes, it was car sales... it's a tough business and I stuck it out for 3 years but know I am starting a career that actually uses my college degree. Now I don't feel so bad paying back my students loans
Old 02-15-2006, 10:36 AM

I applaud you buddy!! There is no way in HELL!!! I would have worked at car sales that long. I worked there for three months till I said F this crap and went somewhere else.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:46 AM

Yeah I did it for a little over a year, Same thing happened, manager told me he didn't need me. Reason being is, they don't want someone floating around the dealership about to quit, and putting ideas into anyone's head, making more sales people quit. You are eligible for the vacation pay. It's in wiritng, and if you have any, take it. NC is an at will state for working, but after 90 days of employment, certain "implied" laws are in effect.

Quick Reply: Is there such a thing as...