Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Taking test drives

Old 12-16-2002, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking test drives

I went to Carmax Saturday to check out the new Nissan Murano and the 350Z. I asked to test drive the new murano. (they didn't have a track model 350Z). They of course asked to see my drivers license. The lady disappears with it. I waited 5 minutes and was getting agitated. Then she shows up with photocopies of my license. She had 4 freaking copies. I was like, what the hell are you doing with 4 copies??? She said she keeps one for her file to remember repeat customers for herself, one for the carmax center, one for the sales manager and one to take along with on the drive. I thought that was insane. Is there anyway to prevent this next time I go back??? I thought that was too much info for alot of people. I like it when I go to Toyota and they just wisk me away into a vehicle I would like to drive without even asking for my license. Any comments or advice would be helpful.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:22 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's strange. I test drove an '01 S2k there back in September, and my salesdroid made one copy, for their 'file'. I suppose he could have copied the copy after I left.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:59 PM

You're right, four copies is excessive. I would be suspicious as well. Perhaps they are selling the information to the junk mail producers. No one has ever asked me to produce a driver's license to test drive a car. I have experienced plenty of red tape in other life's experiences but car shopping has always gone smoothly for me. It could be because I always act as though I am 1 second from heading out the door.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:52 AM

Everytime I have taken test drives, I have never even had to show my license.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:39 PM

The first time my husband (then boyfriend) went new car shopping we pulled into the Infinity dealership at 6pm on a Friday night in an old Datsun 280 station wagon and 5 min later had the keys to a J30 with out a DL check. The salesman did not even come along on the test drive either. I guess the ol' "I trust you" ploy worked since he bought the car the next day!
Old 12-18-2002, 07:07 AM

My wife and I was talking about this yesterday. We noticed that it is only Carmax that is really asking for it anytime that we go there. I have been asked only 4 times as far as we can remember at other dealership to produce id but they didn't copy them. But the BMW dealership here did ask me to show proof of insurance before I was able to test drive the 2002 M3. I may be 28 but look 21. I am thinking it is because at most dealerships they can see what you drive in with. At carmax, they can't because the parking lot is completely cutoff from the new car lot as well as all employees there are still in the building standing around waiting for somebody to come in. I do know next time I go in, if they ask, I will tell them my ID is on file and I am not pulling out my damned license from my wallet again!
Old 12-18-2002, 03:39 PM

I work at Carmax in Greenville. I promise you that they never sell your information to anyone. When you buy or sell us a car we even give you a written statement talking about how we do not give your info to anyone. As for the main reason we copy your DL, is simply security. If someone knows you have a copy of a photo ID of them, then they will be less out to try anything funny on a testdrive. Anyways, enough about Carmax, what color is your S2k? We had 3 that I saw come in that day. A suzuka blue, white, and a yellow one. How did you like the Murano? I didnt like it that much when we first got it but it is growing on me. A bit expensive though. I think I would take a pathfinder before a Murano.

Jj
Old 12-18-2002, 03:57 PM

You must be the one with the Red S2000. Is it standard for Carmax to ask for DL or is that limited to people who look young?How do you like working there? Did Carmax ever get the buyer in training position filled???
Old 12-19-2002, 03:00 AM

Just to add me recent test drive experiences. In the summer I test drove an Acura CL type-s 6-speed, subaru wrx and an s2000. All three dealerships took a copy of my driving license. I don't think it was age related either as i'm 36.

Richard
Old 12-22-2002, 11:22 AM

It is standard to ask for anyones drivers license, no matter their age. I actually love working there. I am the "Buyers Assistant". There is no better place to work for someone who really likes cars, and yes that is my red S2k that is always in the parking lot. As for the "buyer in training" job, pm me if your interested and I can tell you more about it.

Jj

Quick Reply: Taking test drives