Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Self Service Car Wash

Old 11-02-2009, 01:28 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Self Service Car Wash

Now before the wacko's cry out in horror, I have no place to wash my car where I'm living right now. I'm relatively new to the area, just moved here for a new job, but I've been in and out of Columbia my whole life because I have family here.

I'm looking for a self service car wash where I can do some basic washing. I usually take my own bucket and my own cleaning supplies as putting those foam brushes on my car makes me cringe, but I just need the pressure washer and area to clean my baby up some. She hasn't had a legit wash since right after I drove her back from Dallas, TX a week and a half ago.

I do NOT want to take her to any of the car wash places where you put your car in neutral and roll it on through.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^I work at autobell and I send my S through there ATLEAST once a week....been doing it since I bought it and absolutly no scratches or "spider webs" Only thing is that the wax doesnt stay on as long. About half as long as normal washing, but I just wax it more....
Im sure the wackos will be hatin pretty soon but hey it works out great for me and has been for almost 2 years...
Old 11-03-2009, 02:03 AM

I live in NE COlumbia and you are welcome to come by and use my driveway and water.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by s2k_man,Nov 2 2009, 03:00 PM
^I work at autobell and I send my S through there ATLEAST once a week....been doing it since I bought it and absolutly no scratches or "spider webs" Only thing is that the wax doesnt stay on as long. About half as long as normal washing, but I just wax it more....
Im sure the wackos will be hatin pretty soon but hey it works out great for me and has been for almost 2 years...
Those car washes work fine for light colored cars (silver, grey, white). I would never take my Berlina through one though.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichV,Nov 3 2009, 09:11 AM
Those car washes work fine for light colored cars (silver, grey, white). I would never take my Berlina through one though.
I'm not sure I would say they are fine, but if you are not anal about how your cars looks you may not see the scratches and swirls but trust me, they will be there. This sort of damage will "keep your shine from looking like my shine" (- junkman2000). Most car washes use detergents that would be great on dirty dishes, but do nothing but strip the wax, vinyl and tire UV protections from your car. Now the sun will chip away at your cars finish and shorten the life of your soft top. If your willing to sacrifice that sort of thing for a little convenience then go for it. This sort of thing is why people pay someone like me to PC their car after their poor washing habits dull their finish.

a little tip: You can buy a 5 gal bucket and lid for about <$5. Fill the bucket full of water before you head to the self serve. This will save you about $3-4 and a big ass mess when trying to fill it with a pressure washer. Make sure it can't tip over, lid is on tight and you don't drive like you own an S2000.

If you want to take another step to prevent swirls then bring a second bucket and rinse your mitt in it after you was a section, before you stick it back into the soapy water. You will understand why as soon as you empty your buckets.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Or do what I did - find an apartment complex with a car wash station and bring all your stuff there. Make sure you know the number nomenclature for the complex in case anyone asks, but apartment complexes are so big no one knows if you really live there or not.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:03 AM

Good tips all, thanks.

I really hate doing it that way, but unfortunately where I am atm I can't very much help it. I will be getting some supplies soon, and I'm also getting someone to actually detail it (read: wash, clay, buff, wax, etc...) just too lazy to do it myself

Once that's done, I can stick to touching it up myself with a microfiber towel and some QD

I love clean cars but I really hate the part.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Hi

I live on Lincoln St. right behind the Greek Village. You're welcome to come by and wash your car here if you'd like. I'd like to check out your KW V3's since I may be going that route soon.

Saki brings up a good point. I still do this when I have a group car wash. I go to Stadium Suites, which is off Bluff Road. They have a car washing spot but I would bring your own hose though because dumbasses run over the ends and then you cant use a nozzle anymore.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by S2000Shifter,Nov 3 2009, 06:07 PM
Hi

I live on Lincoln St. right behind the Greek Village. You're welcome to come by and wash your car here if you'd like. I'd like to check out your KW V3's since I may be going that route soon.

Saki brings up a good point. I still do this when I have a group car wash. I go to Stadium Suites, which is off Bluff Road. They have a car washing spot but I would bring your own hose though because dumbasses run over the ends and then you cant use a nozzle anymore.
I don't even know where that is >.>

Is that on USC campus?
Old 11-03-2009, 03:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

sort of... the Greek Village is right beside the Strom Fitness Center on the corner of Assembly St and Blossom St. Lincoln St. intersects Blossom St. and goes straight through the Greek Village. PM me if you need directions

Quick Reply: Self Service Car Wash