Carolinas A Better Place to Be

S2Ki Carolinas Auto-X Challenge

Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down S2Ki Carolinas Auto-X Challenge

Hello all. This is my preliminary proposal for the S2Ki Carolinas Auto-X Challenge.

*** UPDATED *** *** UPDATED ***

1. You sign-up for as many auto-X’s you want from ANY club you run with and report back with a link to the results of each event you participate in.
No racer will be allowed to report results from any auto-X run that happened BEFORE the buy-in.

2. Each racer must participate and report a minimum of 3 events.

3. Each racer must post his/her results after each attended event here.

4. Each racer should participate in the NCAC event in October.

5. The racer who's average PAX time is the closest to the average FTP of his events at the end of the season is declared the winner.

6. Winner rewards - braggin rights.

7. Once racers agree with the rules, no bitching, moaning, complaining, crying, flaming, mutiny or any other form of disagreement with the rules, by yourself or a group will be accepted. This is suppose to be a friendly competition and FUN, and the main goals are to get S2Ki autocrossers out to the autocross events, wherever they might be, and to create a small incentive within the S2Ki community to do well.

So, what do you think?

Flame suit - ON <-- I really like this guy!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a fan of a buy-in requirement, especially with a chunk that won't get paid to participants. Not that I don't realize there isn't some work that goes in to organizing/keeping up with a league like this but I don't believe anyone but the racers should benefit which gives even more incentive for everyone to get out and race.

Also, I'd say only top 3 should get some of the winnings, something like

1st: 60%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%
(or drop 1st to 50% and then 10% to organizer if that's the popular voice).

And I still think, as I expressed in PM, there needs to be at least 1 event where we all get together to see how we stack up on the same course on the same day. I know that'll be difficult since we're spread out. Maybe make the "unofficial" S2Ki gathering the Sunday of NCAC, when all of the clubs of the state get together for some usually-friendly competition.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by CobraTi,Feb 23 2010, 04:14 PM
Not a fan of a buy-in requirement, especially with a chunk that won't get paid to participants. Not that I don't realize there isn't some work that goes in to organizing/keeping up with a league like this but I don't believe anyone but the racers should benefit which gives even more incentive for everyone to get out and race.

Also, I'd say only top 3 should get some of the winnings, something like

1st: 60%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%
(or drop 1st to 50% and then 10% to organizer if that's the popular voice).

And I still think, as I expressed in PM, there needs to be at least 1 event where we all get together to see how we stack up on the same course on the same day. I know that'll be difficult since we're spread out. Maybe make the "unofficial" S2Ki gathering the Sunday of NCAC, when all of the clubs of the state get together for some usually-friendly competition.
I will be a participant, and I will pay-in just like anyone else. We can easily vote on that. We are talking pennies here and what I really want is to get people out to the course.

I'm ok with the 60-25-15. Again, up for open vote.

At least one required event that everyone runs would be GREAT!
NCAC - October 23 and 24 in Danville, VA.

Another idea that came to mind is making this an "Autocross Tour".
1. Between 5-10 events of different clubs within a specific geographical area are selected, becoming "Official S2Ki Auto-X Challenge" events.
2. Club PAX times are used straight-up.
3. Each racer must attend at least 4 events.
4. The racer with the best average finish of those events is declared winner.
5. A 10% prize for most events attended is added.
6. 1st - 50%; 2nd - 25%; 3rd - 15%; Most events - 10%; Organizer - Zilch

This will simplify things a lot, but might require more travel.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:19 PM

The 4 clubs of NC (might expand to 5 with NCR) take turns hosting NCAC. In 2009, Triad hosted and it was held in Greensboro. Sunday brought out well over 150 drivers and I feel was easily the most competitive event of the year in NC, attracting drivers from up and down the east coast.

This year, Tarheel is hosting and holding the event Oct 23-24 up at Danville Airport.

It could sort of act as an S2Ki finale since it's practically at the end of the autocross year anyway.

Just from being involved with the autocross community, of which there are some guys that will travel over 1000 miles for a weekend, a 'travelling tour' series will not work very well. NCAC used to be a series like that and was actually stopped for a few years because hardly anyone participated in the required events. When it was turned into a single event is when attendance picked back up.

Just my opinion is everyone must submit at least 3 events from any club they choose. If more, you only count the best 3 results. And then the 2nd day of NCAC acts as the finale for everyone that's done 3 other events. We could either use that event as #4 and somehow count it slightly more than the other 3 events (if someone can't make it, they can submit another 4th event but don't get whatever slight handicap is given at the finale event), OR use only the finale results and whoever does best that 1 day wins.

More/different ideas are definitely welcome though, especially from people just thinking of getting started in the sport. . .what would they be interested in as far as requirements/travel is concerned.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by CobraTi,Feb 23 2010, 05:19 PM
This year, Tarheel is hosting and holding the event Oct 23-24 up at Danville Airport.

It could sort of act as an S2Ki finale since it's practically at the end of the autocross year anyway.
I am sooo there.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:47 PM

We still doing this thing?

Triad had our first points event of the year today and I'm loving having half-decent race tires again, haha.

I believe Tarheel has an event next weekend (novice school Saturday and event Sunday) down in Laurinburg, which is a pretty big site AND concrete so a good bit more grip than other lots in the area. The very first driving school I did when I started autocrossing was with Tarheel. Lots of fun and learning crammed into a day.

If you don't feel like driving south, there is also a SoloPro driving school next weekend (Intro class Saturday, Comp class Sunday) in Danville. SoloPro is run by some of the best autocrosses in the country and they all have years of experience not only driving but teaching others how to drive well. We haven't seen a huge rush of people to enroll in the Intro class Saturday so Triad is hosting a Test and Tune next Saturday afternoon for $20. 1-4pm (ish), on a course set up by the SoloPro instructors, who WILL still be on hand to give tips.

Either school is well worth the $250 if you have it available, but for $20 that 3 hour TnT with SoloPro on hand is something everyone should seriously consider.

Here are the links to sign up for the Tarheel event, SoloPro schools, and Triad TnT in case anyone has the racing bug next weekend and doesn't already have plans.

http://thscc.com/autocross/prereg_autox.php

http://www.soloprodrivingschool.com/calendar

http://events.auto-x.com/event/detail/50/
Old 03-21-2010, 07:47 PM

Joe, I'm still up for this. It should be fun. Pedro and I will both be in L'burg next weekend.

Originally Posted by CobraTi,Mar 21 2010, 08:47 PM
If you don't feel like driving south, there is also a SoloPro driving school next weekend (Intro class Saturday, Comp class Sunday) in Danville.
The SoloPro school I took last year was a huge help to me. For this one Joe is talking about, I'm pretty sure one of the instructors will be my codriver Eric Peterson. I've learned a LOT from Eric, he's a great teacher. And he finished 2nd at the Dixie Tour two weekends ago in my car. He's pretty good in an S2000.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:36 AM

For now, how about we just post our Raw time, PAX time, FTD and FTP for the events we participate in here. We'll worry about whos doing better later.