Carolinas A Better Place to Be

S2000 saved my ass tonight...

Old 04-04-2006, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 saved my ass tonight...

So I'm leaving work, Tavern at the tracks, and I turn right onto Tryon towards downtown to hop onto 277 to go home. It's about 2:15 A.M. and there aren't many cars out for it being a Tuesday night. The only traffic I encounter is usually in front of Uptown Cabaret as taxis and cars are coming/going.

As I approach the club on my right, and there is a traffic light at the corner of the block there is an "executive" limo coming in the opposite direction. I assume he will be turning left into the club. I assume AFTER I pass since I'm cruising steady 41 in a 35. No, he decides he doesn't want to pay attention to the HID's coming right at him or maybe he decides he can make it, he is "The Transporter" in his lincoln limo. As he crosses the double yellow and enters my lane, I start to hit the brakes and steer left, where there is no oncoming traffic, due to the fact that the limo didnt look like stopping and I didn't think I had room to skid to a stop.

At this time, a PT cruiser turns left onto Tryon in my direction from a parking garage or lot. SHIT. I now stomp the brakes, veer right, start sliding, with back end slowly swinging out left. I hit the gas, turn wheel the other way and now the limo has come to a complete stop, taking up both "left" lanes of Tryon, and some of the right lane in my direction. As I veer right to avoid the "angled" head-on hit, I realize I'm heading towards a lightpole with a huge concrete base that seemed to be laughing at me like Pacino from "Devil's Advocate". Somehow, there was enough room to squeeze by the limo, not run up on the curb, and I jerked the wheel left to avoid the curb and pole, almost Flintstone-ing the brake pedal. I come to a complete stop pointing diagonally left in both lanes before the intersection.

As I get out to make sure I really didn't hit anything, the asshat in the "limo" gets out and looks over my way and stands there. Has a shaved head, looks like he wants to be just like the Transporter. I bit my tongue and the only thing that exited my mouth was a "And YOU'RE supposed to be the professional driver?"

The other drivers out front started giving him shit and I heard one of them say "Damn, he just saved your job." Glad I heard that, it made me chuckle a little.

As I walk back around the car to get in, I see a couple of drunk and blue-balled guys out front doing their best "Live on Location" to some strippers in training. Appearantly, as I didn't realize at the time, the combo of my invidia, tires burning, and brakes melting caused a stir. I look behind my car and sure enough, I painted a new lane on tryon.

Got back in my car and drove off, thanking God, Honda engineers, and small cars.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DAMN, Dre; glad you and your S are alright. Great car, great driving!

Some people will just never take responsibility.....
Old 04-05-2006, 04:52 AM

Nice save! Always remember everyone will have there day and that guy will get his.

Good job!

Deiger
Old 04-05-2006, 05:56 AM

Close call man! Well done!
Old 04-05-2006, 07:51 AM

bravo, nice save
Old 04-05-2006, 09:26 AM

I pass by these executive taxis all the time on the way to work....what are the chances I'll see him again?.....hmmm...

off topic....Sheila I heard your friends booked at tavern for may 18.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:04 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

You should have blamed your dented door on him and demanded money on the spot!
Old 04-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

All I can say is DAMN. Lets hope next time he tries that crap, its a full dump truck he encounters.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Apr 5 2006, 10:04 AM
You should have blamed your dented door on him and demanded money on the spot!
I thought about that while driving home either that, or I could have had matching aerodynamical body damage

I wonder if I were to be a sleaze and have clamied it, could I make anyone believe rust forms after 12 minutes?
Old 04-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice play by play...good post. Great save! Glad you are O.K. and that your S is safe. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Quick Reply: S2000 saved my ass tonight...