Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Reputable shop for AP1 tranny work

Old 05-12-2016, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GUTI007
Originally Posted by shift957' timestamp='1462990732' post='23963787
[quote name='freq' timestamp='1462675572' post='23960133']
https://www.s2ki.com/...-trans-rebuild/

Here's the problem with trans work on the S, 1) you have to drop the trans, 2) parts are gonna cost you ~$200, 3) labor is gonna be $$.

Buy a known good trans and swap it in. Do the clutch while you're in there too.

Personally. with a car and that low mileage, I'd beat the piss out of it on a track, there's a damn good chance it'll fix your issue. If not, you'll have had a blast anyway.
Car is up for sale and someone is asking what it may cost to fix. The trans in it has had an easy life like I said in the above post minus 2 td's and a 10 mile top speed run out of 31k miles. Is labor to replace 1st gear synchronizers really that expensive?
$500-$1500 depending on the shop. Of course there are always "exceptions" or "my mechanic hooked me up"

Keep us updated - I'm interested. It sounds as if they clutch isn't fully disengaging.
[/quote]
Thanks for the info

Can the clutch not fully disengaging only affect one gear? And if that's the case, at a stop, why would it not grind if I go to second, then to first?

I sent a PM to Billman250. I really hope he can shed some light on this, or anyone for that fact.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend Triad Auto in Greensboro for any Honda work. I've taking my 2003 S2000 and other Hondas there for years. They're honest, reliable and reasonably priced.

http://www.triadauto.com/
Old 05-12-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by shift957
Originally Posted by will010100' timestamp='1462651206' post='23959892
Sorry to disagree. I would check the clutch fluid before taking it to a shop. I've had problems with grinding before when the clutch fluid was low or trapped air (basically, the clutch is not disengaging fully, so you're rev matching 2-1 now (cannot rev match from a stop)). You can top off the clutch with brake fluid and bleed the system like brakes. I'm sure there is a how-to write up somewhere in here. Bleeding the system very inexpensive compared to transmission work. Eliminate the least expensive culprits first.
I'm pretty sure I read Billman's write up on the bleed process and he recommended just sucking out some old fluid and putting in new fluid, drive a while and repeat a few times. Bleeding it is complicated and you are more likely to get air in the line or goof it up than have success from what I recall reading.

The grind started the day after driving the car at 135-140mph for 10 miles.

I'm also pretty sure clutch fluid is at correct level and clean. The car has been driven rather easily minus 2 moderate track days and obviously the 10 mile run.
Will has a point in that the clutch fluid is easy and cheap to rule out as a possible culprit, but the symptoms still don't sound like it. I've bled my clutch before, is pretty easy if you have access to jack stands and a helper.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:56 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

CNC speedshop specializes in s2000 work: http://centralncspeedshop.com/
Old 05-13-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
CNC speedshop specializes in s2000 work: http://centralncspeedshop.com/
THANK YOU!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:01 AM

Update:

I took the car to Jason at CNC Speedshop. We did some test driving to replicate what is causing the grinding, and went over the history before I left. Once he opened it up and took a look at things, he identified the issue to be the 1st gear needle bearings and synchro. Because it seemed odd to have this issue with such low mileage, Jason concluded that when Honda did the second gear recall work, they forgot to clean the fine particulate filter going to the trans fluid pump, causing a reduction of fluid to cool and lubricate the 1st gear portion of the transmission as noted by heat discoloring on 1st gear and wear on the synchro.

So, 1st gear and the needle bearings were replaced and first and second gear synchros came with a second gear set. We opted for AP2 synchros which are carbon coated for extra durability over the standard brass AP1 synchros.

I picked the car up yesterday and gave it a thorough test drive and the shifting is once again smooth as butter. It wasn't cheap, but I am very happy to keep a low mileage car in great condition with all matching original parts. Thank you guys for the recommendations and help and big thanks to Jason at CNC Speedshop. I highly recommend him to anyone needing work for their S2000.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:19 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by shift957
Update:

I took the car to Jason at CNC Speedshop. We did some test driving to replicate what is causing the grinding, and went over the history before I left. Once he opened it up and took a look at things, he identified the issue to be the 1st gear needle bearings and synchro. Because it seemed odd to have this issue with such low mileage, Jason concluded that when Honda did the second gear recall work, they forgot to clean the fine particulate filter going to the trans fluid pump, causing a reduction of fluid to cool and lubricate the 1st gear portion of the transmission as noted by heat discoloring on 1st gear and wear on the synchro.

So, 1st gear and the needle bearings were replaced and first and second gear synchros came with a second gear set. We opted for AP2 synchros which are carbon coated for extra durability over the standard brass AP1 synchros.

I picked the car up yesterday and gave it a thorough test drive and the shifting is once again smooth as butter. It wasn't cheap, but I am very happy to keep a low mileage car in great condition with all matching original parts. Thank you guys for the recommendations and help and big thanks to Jason at CNC Speedshop. I highly recommend him to anyone needing work for their S2000.

Nice!