Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Reputable shop for AP1 tranny work

Old 05-06-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reputable shop for AP1 tranny work

I've got an '00 with 31k on it and the 2nd gear grind recall work was done on the car at 5k miles. It recently developed a grind going into 1st while moving. If I bring to a stop, shift into second, then into 1st, it goes smooth.

Looking for a shop that is hopefully familiar with S2000's to see what they can do with this.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:40 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Assuming the trans fluid full and recent? Low fluid levels can cause similar issues.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:23 AM

It started doing the grind and I took it in to Honda to see if new fluid would help. Service did not change it. I don't think clutch fluid could do this, could it? I'm pretty sure it's not dirty. I sucked some out with a turkey baster and added new fluid as recommended by Billman in a post somewhere.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:25 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Clutch fluid could only cause a grind if the level was low and the clutch wasn't completely disengaging. If it's only grinding in to 1st, probably not clutch related.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:34 AM

Yeah, I tend to agree that it's not clutch fluid related. The fluid looks good and is correct level. Thanks for the input InsaneSp.

So can anyone recommend me a shop
Old 05-07-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to disagree. I would check the clutch fluid before taking it to a shop. I've had problems with grinding before when the clutch fluid was low or trapped air (basically, the clutch is not disengaging fully, so you're rev matching 2-1 now (cannot rev match from a stop)). You can top off the clutch with brake fluid and bleed the system like brakes. I'm sure there is a how-to write up somewhere in here. Bleeding the system very inexpensive compared to transmission work. Eliminate the least expensive culprits first.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:46 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/...-trans-rebuild/

Here's the problem with trans work on the S, 1) you have to drop the trans, 2) parts are gonna cost you ~$200, 3) labor is gonna be $$.

Buy a known good trans and swap it in. Do the clutch while you're in there too.

Personally. with a car and that low mileage, I'd beat the piss out of it on a track, there's a damn good chance it'll fix your issue. If not, you'll have had a blast anyway.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by will010100
Sorry to disagree. I would check the clutch fluid before taking it to a shop. I've had problems with grinding before when the clutch fluid was low or trapped air (basically, the clutch is not disengaging fully, so you're rev matching 2-1 now (cannot rev match from a stop)). You can top off the clutch with brake fluid and bleed the system like brakes. I'm sure there is a how-to write up somewhere in here. Bleeding the system very inexpensive compared to transmission work. Eliminate the least expensive culprits first.
I'm pretty sure I read Billman's write up on the bleed process and he recommended just sucking out some old fluid and putting in new fluid, drive a while and repeat a few times. Bleeding it is complicated and you are more likely to get air in the line or goof it up than have success from what I recall reading.

The grind started the day after driving the car at 135-140mph for 10 miles.

I'm also pretty sure clutch fluid is at correct level and clean. The car has been driven rather easily minus 2 moderate track days and obviously the 10 mile run.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by freq

Here's the problem with trans work on the S, 1) you have to drop the trans, 2) parts are gonna cost you ~$200, 3) labor is gonna be $$.

Personally. with a car and that low mileage, I'd beat the piss out of it on a track, there's a damn good chance it'll fix your issue. If not, you'll have had a blast anyway.
Car is up for sale and someone is asking what it may cost to fix. The trans in it has had an easy life like I said in the above post minus 2 td's and a 10 mile top speed run out of 31k miles. Is labor to replace 1st gear synchronizers really that expensive?
Old 05-11-2016, 05:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shift957
Originally Posted by freq' timestamp='1462675572' post='23960133

Car is up for sale and someone is asking what it may cost to fix. The trans in it has had an easy life like I said in the above post minus 2 td's and a 10 mile top speed run out of 31k miles. Is labor to replace 1st gear synchronizers really that expensive?
$500-$1500 depending on the shop. Of course there are always "exceptions" or "my mechanic hooked me up"

Keep us updated - I'm interested. It sounds as if they clutch isn't fully disengaging.

Quick Reply: Reputable shop for AP1 tranny work