Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Recommended tire shop?

Old 01-19-2004, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended tire shop?

Its time to have the tires installed that I got for Christmas and I was wondering where would be the best place around Raleigh to have it done. I was thinking McNair Performance on Westgate Rd., which is about a mile from the house. Anyone have an opinion on McNair or have a better suggestion?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:58 AM

I used Discount Tire on Six Forks and they were good. I also hear that Hubcap Heaven in Cary is good.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:10 AM

I actually tried to use Discount Tire but it didn't work out so well. We had them install a set of tires on my girlfriend's BMW(same day you were there, Portland). We ordered the tires from Tire Rack and the Discount Tire guy said there was no need to do that as they would match Tire Rack's price. So, time comes to get a pair of rears for the S and I call and ask if they'll match Tire Rack's price(Kumho 712-$90/ea). The guy says sure but he'll have to order them and they'll be there in about a week. A week and a half goes by and I don't hear from them so I call them. Guy says they'll be in that afternoon or the next day. Four more days pass and no call. I call again and, again, he says they'll be in that afternoon or the next day. I tell the guy that its been over two weeks and I'm beginning to think I should cancel the order. He then tells me that he might be able to get them from one of their local distributors and have them that afternoon. Guess they ordered the first pair straight from Korea. I was less than pleased and wouldn't have been happy with them even if they had the tires that afternoon. Why they couldn't have gotten the tires from a local distributor to start with is beyond me. Anyway, I canceled the order and ordered them from Tire Rack and had them in 3 days.

Sorry for the rant. I'm sure Discount Tire does a fine job 95% of the time. Maybe the poor service I received was a product of them having to price match.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sure he was getting the run around. i know a lot of people in the car/tire business, and i swear most of those companies have the worst service ever. reminds me of last night at office max. i bought 50 cd-rs for 9 dollars, and the guy was like you can get 100 for 20 and use the $20 rebate and its free...i told him to be honest and if he thought id actually get the rebate back, and he said no, they usually come up with a reason not to send it....geez...caveat emptor!
Old 01-20-2004, 02:57 PM

I have used Discount Tires and also Hubcap Heaven. Both did a fine job.