Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Rear wheel bearing woes...

Old 09-05-2012, 04:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear wheel bearing woes...

I have a MY00 with Koni Yellows/Ground Controls with Euro spec alignment, and a few months ago I notice a strange grinding/squeaking noise coming from the passenger rear. After doing some research, I deduced that the rear wheel bearing needed to be replaced. I removed the hub/knucle, and took it to my mechanic to have the bearings swapped. He informed me that the old bearing was so worn, that it fused itself into the knuckle. Yesterday, I picked up a knuckle/hub assembly from a local junkyard (car was wrecked from the rear but more toward the driver side). After installation of the new assembly, I noticed that there was no camber in the pass rear and there seemed to be some toe. So I figured, I'd ride around the block and see if the wheel just need to roll a bit to straighten out. First thing I noticed is that the car rolls straight, but only when my steering wheel is slightly turned to the left. The second thing I noticed is that the rear feels a bit twitchy when I hit bumps. The only thing I can figure out, is that the knuckle may possibly be bent. I also noticed that the ball joint on to toe arm, is almost touching the heat shield. Any info will be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:12 AM
mlc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you take the knuckle off? Did you loosen the adjustment bolt? If so did you mark it to put it back in the same place?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Needs to be aligned. Did you redo the alignment after replacing the hub?
Old 09-05-2012, 11:50 AM

I'm taking it after work for an alignment, but when I replaced the driver side wheel bearing, it didn't look anywhere as off as the passenger side does now. I removed them the same way, caliper, pads, ABS sensor, and 3 ball joints. I'll load some pics when I get home.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is that slight risk when you buy parts from wrecks that they may be tweaked enough you can't see but feel. sorry for your delima.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:27 PM

Since you took the hub off and put another one on from another car start with Alignment for sure. The rear is the first thing
you align, it sets the base for the whole alignment. Should be good after you get it all straight.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:55 AM

Well, the verdict is in. The knuckle is slightly bent in at the toe arm attachment. I never thought a 1/4" would make such a huge difference, so I guess I'll be returning this one, and just buying a new assembly. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 AM
mlc

1/4" is huge when it comes to alignment. Glad you at least have your answer,
Old 09-06-2012, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't go wrong with new parts.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:02 AM

Just a follow up. After a new knuckle, hub, and bearing installed and the car drives like a dream again! Thanks for the input guys.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearing woes...