Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Possible Relocation to Camp Lejune, NC

Old 04-24-2003, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Relocation to Camp Lejune, NC

Hey people,

Better say hi now since I may be heading down to NC coming October.
So, Hi, and anything I should know about NC or Camp Lejune area to be specific?

You can kinda tell I'm not too enthu... about NC, sorry, I was hoping to go to Camp Pendleton, CA near San Diego area. My three choices are Camp Lejune, NC; Bethesda, MD; and Camp Pendleton, CA in that order. I don't have a choice in this one, but if I did, I would've reverse the order just because #1, CA; #2 MD, near home; #3 NC, I'm not too crazy about another East Coast Humidity Summers.

So, please help me out and help me feel better for possible NC move. Mine as well make the best of the situation.

Thanks,

LT
Old 04-24-2003, 08:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My father was in the Marine Corps for 21 years and we lived in Jacksonville for 15 years and it was not a happening place for all of that time. However, Jacksonville is growing nicely. Plenty of retail stores and lots to do. Convenient to the beaches (Topsail Island is quite nice) and good hunting areas and golf courses. Depending on what you are in to.

Another plus for Jacksonville would be that it's close to other areas if you are willing to travel. Wilmington is only 45 minutes to an hour away. LeJeune Honda is not terribly bad. Decent folks who want to do a good job.

You'll find plenty of folks that will bad-mouth Jacksonville but I don't think it's all that bad, really. Compared to New Bern.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will plead the fifth......
I have to say that J'ville is getting better.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by airgate
My father was in the Marine Corps for 21 years and we lived in Jacksonville for 15 years ...
Well that explains an awful lot!!!

In spite of airgate being a product of Jacksonville, you'll get to know the town as a very supportive community with some very bright people in leadership roles there. Every service man and woman are treated as one of their own. I doubt you'll find that in the other locations.

airgate is right about Wilmington being close by. Beautiful beaches, historic downtown on the riverfront, a major campus in the university system, one of the largest community colleges in the state, and the most beautiful women east of San Diego!

Old 04-25-2003, 08:37 AM

LT, I can tell you as a young, single Second Lieutenant driving into town 23 years ago I questioned what I had done in a previous life to deserve Jacksonville, NC. Heck there wasn't even a mall. All I saw was pawn shops, strip joints and bars. In the past 23 years Jacksonville has come a long way and if you are married or have a family I think it is a much better place than your other two choices. If your single, ah well, Wilmington and UNCW are only 45 minutes south (and MyBad has it right on the women - don't tell my wife I said that as I am a geo-bachelor here). The only thing that hasn't changed is the humidity - it still sucks but hey that's what A/C is for.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:44 AM

Thanks guys,

Here's the whole scoop.

Three of the specialty leaders, one from each branch, USA, USN, USAF to review the billet/position needs in the Pentagon.

If I can successfully defend the need for my position/billet, then I can go to Bethesda, MD or Camp Pendleton, CA. But if I can't defend my billet/position, my billet goes and I go w/ it to Camp Lejune, NC.

Here's the suckiest part. I am the most qualifed person for the job. In fact, I am so specialized, the idea of Camp Lejune's new billet came soley from my background expertise.

I can't win. But like I said, mine as well, make the best of it!

LT
Old 04-25-2003, 11:20 AM

There yougo, trying to make something of yourself and look what it gets you!

j/k

I admire people who advance themselves to the top of the ladder. I'd guess that you also have a lot to contribute in more ways than your specialization.

Good luck!