Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Oil Change Question

Old 11-21-2001, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Question

I have now owned my s2k long enough to get an oil change. First question, should I feel safe taking it to a standard "quick lube" place? I ask because this isn't your every day car and I don't want someone screwing it up. I live in Chapel Hill so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, how often do you guys change your oil and what kind is the best to use in the s2k? Synthetic or what? What brand, etc? Thanks!

- Robbie (blk/blk '01)
Old 11-21-2001, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMXracerNC,

Do a search on oil change and you will see that this is a popular question. The majority of people think that you shouldn't change the oil from the factory (also known as break in oil) until you have at least 4000 miles on the car and some say more than that.

Stay with regular oil until your car stops burning oil in between changes (it should be broken in then). That seems to vary from 5000 to 10000 miles. Once it stops burning oil, you can use synthetic if you want to.

Bob
Old 11-21-2001, 07:58 PM

Cool, thanks for the info! I'll do more research.

- Robbie
Old 11-22-2001, 01:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BMXracerNC
[B]Cool, thanks for the info!
Old 11-27-2001, 06:02 AM

You're right. I trust no one!

My first oil change is coming up and I'd love to do it myself. My only hesitation is that if there is a problem in the future, and I can't show that I changed the oil when supposed to, I may have trouble with warranty claims. Any thoughts on this?
Old 11-27-2001, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by MyBad
You're right. I trust no one!

My first oil change is coming up and I'd love to do it myself. My only hesitation is that if there is a problem in the future, and I can't show that I changed the oil when supposed to, I may have trouble with warranty claims. Any thoughts on this?
Keep all your receipts for the oil and filters and make an entry into the maintenance book (date, mileage, etc). I do this and keep a running ledger of everything I do to the car, shop wise. Sure, they can say that you just put the entries in and didn't actually do any work so if you're real paranoid about this then you should take it to a professional and have that documentation.
Old 11-28-2001, 06:28 AM

So, I am understanding now, that it is best to wait a significant amount of time prior to switching to synthetic...and that synthetic *is* the way to go eventually?

Thoughts?

--J
Old 11-28-2001, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by Daemon J
So, I am understanding now, that it is best to wait a significant amount of time prior to switching to synthetic...and that synthetic *is* the way to go eventually?

Thoughts?

--J
I believe that this is the general concensus. Wait till your engine stops using oil. This could take as long as 5K miles or more. Also, leave the factory oil in till the 1st suggested oil change. I went to synthetic @ 15000 km (10K miles).
Old 11-28-2001, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the info XViper... now the big question; why? Why is it best to leave in the old, and then switch to synthetic vs. using synthetic earlier?
Excuse my ignorance, but mechanics has never been a strong subject for me.

--J
Old 11-28-2001, 10:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Daemon J
[B]Thanks for the info XViper... now the big question; why?

Quick Reply: Oil Change Question