Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Need advice on hotel to stay at while visiting Myrtle Beach...HELP!!

Old 03-11-2004, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on hotel to stay at while visiting Myrtle Beach...HELP!!

Hi,

I belong to the S2000 list in the Bay Area, California and I'm taking my wife and two kids on an epic East Coast Adventure in July this year. We are flying to Portland, ME and renting a big fat American car (wish I could do this in the S ) to drive down the coast over 17 days to Charleston, SC, where we fly back home. We are going to spend the last 5 days on the beach before we head home.

I am looking for a nice beachfront hotel that is relatively quiet. I know, I know. Myrtle Beach is anything but quiet but I'm not looking to stay in the heart of the action. I'm looking for something south of the action or north of it. I want my kids to have some fun with the beach, swimming pools, lazy river pools, etc. My son is 14 and my daughter is 9 so we can't have it too quiet either.

Here is what I have so far. Each place has a kitchen so we can cook most of our meals to keep costs down:

- Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort on Pawley Island
- Ocean Drive Beach & Golf Resort in North Myrtle Beach
- Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach / Oceanfront in Myrtle Beach

We have never been there before and I hear that some of the hotels are very old and dirty. I would hate to end our vacation in a bad place. Can you please recommend a place? It doesn't have to be in Myrtle Beach but we are flying back from Charleston, SC so I can't be too far away from there.

HELP!!

Thank you so much for you help.

Cheers,
Ismat.
Red 2000 S2000
Old 03-12-2004, 02:26 AM

Kingstonplantation.com

P
Old 03-12-2004, 04:37 AM

Litchfield, it's quiet but close enough to the action (about 15-20 minutes South on 17) to keep the kids happy. Not a bad drive down 17 South to Charleston.

Litchfield Resort

Have a great time....Make sure you get into an authentic Pawley's Island Hammock!
Old 03-12-2004, 07:17 AM

well it's at least an hour from pawley's island to NMB so keep that in mind. 4th of July weekend is the busiest time from what I can remember in my first year here in MB so Ocean Blvd will be packed if you stay anywhere in MB. With that said and what you prefer, I would also vote for Pawley's Island. You would be about half an hour from MB and about an hour and a half to Charleston
Old 03-14-2004, 03:40 PM

Litchfield sounds like what you are looking for to me as well. Quiet, but yet close enough that you can drive to the "action". Have fun!
Old 03-15-2004, 12:43 AM

get a hotel close to myrtle waves theme park... the kids will love that place.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by Canucks2k
Kingstonplantation.com

P

I second that. Great place for kids (little jungle pool thingie) and great for adults as well (outside bar with band).
Old 04-12-2004, 07:04 PM

you have a ton of options, it all depends. Litchfield is nice and definately within driving distance to MB attractions. Not to mention it will be less crowded although perhaps a might bit more expensive.

I don't know if you are looking to specifically stay near MB but there are also beaches around Charleston although I am not sure how good the hotels are compared to MB for kids and all (being 23 I don't look for kiddie amenities when booking a hotel). I am about 10 Minutes from Ilse of Palms and DT Charleston where I am. Isle of Palms is a nice beach and I have seen what look to be very nice hotels out there. There is also Folley Beach on the other side of Charleston. Just throwing out more options. While we don't have Hard Rock Cafe or anything, DT Charleston is packed with awesome stuff...