Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Moving to Durham

Old 04-30-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Durham

I moved to Winston-Salem from Central KY in January for training with my job and found out yesterday that I will be relocating to Durham in mid-June. Who all is from Durham/Raleigh? What is there to do around that area? Any advice or recommendations for me as far as apartment hunting (garage is a requirement for me ) Looking forward to meeting some of you guys and seeing what you have to say about the area
Old 04-30-2008, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also new to the area. Just bought a house in Holly Springs, about 20 miles south of Durham.

Nice color choice.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:47 PM

I don't think I'm ready to buy a house yet... I'd like to spend 6 to 12 months in the area first at least. Have you met many others from that area?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:12 PM

I live in Durham and work in Research Triangle Park. What do you do for a living that brings you here?

As far as stuff to do, that depends. What do you like to do? Raleigh/Durham (and adjacent Chapel Hill) has lots to do. Obviously it's not New York City, but there's lots to keep yourself busy.

Actually, autocross and track stuff is really quite popular in the region. http://www.thscc.com is the address for Tarheel Sports Car Club. I autocross my S2000 in A Stock every chance I get, and we'd love to have you come out. Same kind of thing as Triad Sports Car Club if you've heard of those guys, very similar events.

As far as places to live, well that depends on where work is I guess. I live near Southpoint Mall - a large new mall that went up maybe five years ago. Exit 276 off I40 will get you in the general neighborhood. Lots of new apartment complexes have gone up in the last few years and the area is booming.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:39 AM

I work for BB&T and will be moving to Durham as a Business Portfolio Manager. Around Southpoint seems to be the consensus thus far. I got a pretty good list of places from apartments.com but we'll see how many end up eliminating themselves from no garages lol I'll be working on S. Duke St. and, based on google, there are a ton of places within 7-15 minutes of there so it'll be interesting to look around when I get there
Old 05-01-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by DC5 RSX R,Apr 30 2008, 09:47 PM
I don't think I'm ready to buy a house yet... I'd like to spend 6 to 12 months in the area first at least. Have you met many others from that area?
Not yet. I own the house but I have not moved-in permanently yet.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:34 AM

I live in Apex but I work at Duke. Let me know if you have any question about this area, I will see what I can do to help. South point seem to be the area to be. Several of my friends live there. A bit further south in Morrisville is not too far from Durham and seem to ahve a lot of new, upmarket apartment/townhouses. Probably have garages there.

PJCC do you take 55 to durham? I never seen you around.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rogazilla,May 1 2008, 02:34 PM
I live in Apex but I work at Duke. Let me know if you have any question about this area, I will see what I can do to help. South point seem to be the area to be. Several of my friends live there. A bit further south in Morrisville is not too far from Durham and seem to ahve a lot of new, upmarket apartment/townhouses. Probably have garages there.

PJCC do you take 55 to durham? I never seen you around.
As I said before, I own a house in Holly Springs but will be moving there at the end of May. I work from home, so no commute to Durham or the triangle area for me.

I will be up for meets and HH's during the summer.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by DC5 RSX R,May 1 2008, 03:39 AM
I work for BB&T and will be moving to Durham as a Business Portfolio Manager. Around Southpoint seems to be the consensus thus far. I got a pretty good list of places from apartments.com but we'll see how many end up eliminating themselves from no garages lol I'll be working on S. Duke St. and, based on google, there are a ton of places within 7-15 minutes of there so it'll be interesting to look around when I get there
i live in durham right now, off of 55 about 2 miles from southpoint.. all i have to say is that just check out the apartments and the area around the apartments before you make a decision, b/c durham does have some nice areas, but a lot of durham is areas that you wouldn't want to be when the sun goes down
Old 05-02-2008, 04:39 PM

^^Good info lol Southpoint seems to be the consensus thus far for where I should contain my search radius to. Do you have any suggestions for particular apt. complexes?

Quick Reply: Moving to Durham