Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Might have to sell my S

Old 03-19-2009 | 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might have to sell my S

Well, after dropping $$ for mods, and I am about to replace the clutch and brake pads, I may have to sell the S.

Back in January my company did a layoff of 49 people. I was unaffected, and was told I would never get let go because my department is the only thing keeping the company afloat right now. 2 weeks later everyone had to take a paycut. i don't make a lot to begin with, but good for what I do and considering the times.

So when they announced pay cuts, I got very mad and start exploring other alternatives. I emailed UNC's School of Public Health about their Master's in Healthcare Administration program b/c they take late applications up to March 1. I emailed, they had space, so within 2 weeks I took the GMAT, applied, got transcripts, and 3 recommendations.

I got an email 2 days ago. I have an interview on Monday. If I get into the program, I am definately going to have to sell my Volks (which I won't even have for another 2 weeks) to pay off credit card bills, and may even have to sell the car.

Monday I should also know if the financial aid will be enough to cover my living expenses. I am lucky to have free rent b/c my g/f and I live together and she is in school still (Ph.D in medicinal chemistry at UNC) and her Mom is going to pay her rent for the 1 more year she is in school.

So everyone keep your fingers crossed for me that I get in, and more importantly that financial aid is very generous with the living expense allowance, because the school itself is relatively cheap!

I DON'T WANT TO SELL MY CAR!
Old 03-19-2009 | 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, times are tough. Good luck with your ventures.
Old 03-19-2009 | 01:59 PM
mlc

That sucks, but let me tell you what you are doing is WAY more important. Potentially setting yourself up for the rest of your life. I think I would sell the car in order to do that. When you are older and making good money you can go get yourself something else that you really like. It my seem like a hard decision now but a no brainer really.

Good luck.

Kevin
Old 03-19-2009 | 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck to you. hate hear that. i know the feeling. they cut my job back to 32hrs a week and now it looks as if more cuts are coming. thinking of going into business for my self.
Old 03-19-2009 | 07:25 PM

Good luck with everything! I hope you don't have to sell your car!
Old 03-19-2009 | 07:30 PM

yea man sucks i soon to have to take the PCAT for pharmacy school! yea graduate school expenses are tough cuz it is so much work you cant have a job! good life choice though!
Old 03-19-2009 | 07:57 PM

Good luck...

If anything ever happens to my job, I'm back to bartending and grad school route as well.
Old 03-20-2009 | 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by jt12soccer,Mar 19 2009, 10:30 PM
yea man sucks i soon to have to take the PCAT for pharmacy school! yea graduate school expenses are tough cuz it is so much work you cant have a job! good life choice though!
I took the PCAT, wanted to go to Pharmacy school until I worked at CVS for a while, now you would have to pay me $250,000 a year to be a retail pharmacy. Make sure you are going to like it.
Old 03-20-2009 | 09:15 AM

oh really!!! wat didnt you like about it! was the PCAT hard could you compare it to any other tests?? thnaks for the info!
Old 03-20-2009 | 04:57 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it takes a certain "somebody" to be a retail pharmacist. I have to say that I really dig the Target pharmacists. They ROCK. We dealt with the same pharmacist at the Target in New Bern for 5+ years. When we transferred our "account" to Charlotte, again we chose Target and the Matthews Target Pharmacy Team ROCKS just like the New Bern folks.

So...you'd think that would settle it? Nope. When Anna and I were in Maryland for the Fall Colors Tour, the local Target went out of the way to get my prescription filled. They were ultra-friendly. Again, I have enjoyed every experience with Target Pharmacy.

I don't know how they do it...but they hire and retain some great talent.

Good luck Crackerballer. Stuff like this builds great character. We often have to lose what we love to really appreciate it. Best of luck finding your way and best of luck making it all work.

Quick Reply: Might have to sell my S