Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Invisible Paint Protection Opinions?

Old 09-05-2008, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Invisible Paint Protection Opinions?

I am looking at the Scotchguard Invisible paint protection, invisible car bra to put on my new S2000. Does anyone have it installed on their car and where did they have it installed? Also were you satisfied with it? I got a quote from a guy in Cary who has a vinyl place that just started doing it and he quoted me $600 which seems ridiculous but I could be totally wrong. Please let me know what your experiences have been. Thanks in advance.

Keith
Old 09-05-2008, 03:55 PM

I had it put on my Laguna when I bought it. I found it completely worthless.

The interior protection was worthwile, I think, but the exterior will be removed by clay bar when you go to polish up your car.

Get a few coats of Zaino or a good wax on, and you'll be better off than that Scotchguard stuff for the exterior.

Dave
Old 09-05-2008, 04:18 PM

hendrick honda (a local dealer) is offering a clear plastic cover that goes over the paint and suppost to prevent from rock and stuff
but i think on the long run that will eventually fade and look like crap

i dont know if that is that one you are talkin about

C.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by 07_s2kid,Sep 5 2008, 04:18 PM
hendrick honda (a local dealer) is offering a clear plastic cover that goes over the paint and suppost to prevent from rock and stuff
but i think on the long run that will eventually fade and look like crap

i dont know if that is that one you are talkin about

C.
Yes that is what I am talking about. It is not a spray on thing. It is a plastic type cover. It is made by 3M and has to be applied like vinyl to the nose of the car. So it will not come off when you clay bar or wax, like parkerdt said. We must be talking about different things.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 PM

I have had the 3M film on my S2000 for two years. I also have it on my Lexus rx330 and I had on my Infiniti G35 coupe. If it's a genuine 3M product it won't come off with waxing, assuming the installer knows how to do it. It's also virtually invisible. More importantly the protection against paint chips is real. It does not turn yellow. You are welcome to check it out on my car. You can have it put on your headlights and outside mirrors as well. If you think it's too costly, how much does it cost to have front of your car repainted? Just a thought.
Here's the url.

Auto Shield Carolinas

Radred
Old 09-05-2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by radred,Sep 5 2008, 05:34 PM
I have had the 3M film on my S2000 for two years. I also have it on my Lexus rx330 and I had on my Infiniti G35 coupe. If it's a genuine 3M product it won't come off with waxing, assuming the installer knows how to do it. It's also virtually invisible. More importantly the protection against paint chips is real. It does not turn yellow. You are welcome to check it out on my car. You can have it put on your headlights and outside mirrors as well. If you think it's too costly, how much does it cost to have front of your car repainted?
Thank you very much. I have seen it on several cars and I know it is very durable. I saw an interview with a World Challenge team that started using it on the front of their cars and they said it stopped them from having to repaint the nose of the car after every race and extended it out to 4 or 5 races. So I believe it works but $600 seemed a little high but the more research I am doing the more it seems right.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:57 AM

I guess its a good invesment especially for cars like yours or mine (silver) since we dont need to wax them every month, and 3M makes very good quallity

-C.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:26 AM

Sounds like you're talking about a clear bra type product. Yes, a different animal from the Scotchguard Exterior protection package I was sold.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:31 AM
mlc

Here is a link to some information. Notice the dates and prices. I have not priced it myself. But it seems by all of these posts it is probably about right. Take a look.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=234928&st=25

mlc
Old 09-06-2008, 07:34 AM

In the Raleigh area, if you are interested in a clear bra... talk to Pete at TVP Auto. His info is below. I had him tint my windows and he was putting a clear bra on a $180,000 Porsche when I got there. He does EXCELLENT work. Give him a call and tell him I sent you. Or send him an email for a price quote. Again, tell him I sent you to him. His turnaround time for quotes is usually about a day.

TVP (Total Vehicle Preparation)
Pete Silvoy
2000 Bearcat Way #14
Morrisville, NC 27560
(919) 274-5365
info@tvpauto.com
www.tvpauto.com

J

Quick Reply: Invisible Paint Protection Opinions?