Carolinas A Better Place to Be

HPDE @ CMP

Old 01-01-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still on the fence about attending this.

Would love to do the event, but I'm not sure yet if I want to drop this much money all at once, especially since we just bought a house.

Because I'll likely have to get new tires after the event these are the expenses I'm facing:

Event Fee - 280 (they increased the price since the original listing)
NASA Fee - 45
Helmet - 280
Track Pads - 300
Tires - 800

Obviously I'll have to get tires eventually anyways, and I probably don't need track pads, but I've read so many stories of people destroying their stock pads that I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Maybe I can slowly build up things like a helmet and track pads so I can attend next time.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by humbucker87
Still on the fence about attending this.

Would love to do the event, but I'm not sure yet if I want to drop this much money all at once, especially since we just bought a house.

Because I'll likely have to get new tires after the event these are the expenses I'm facing:

Event Fee - 280 (they increased the price since the original listing)
NASA Fee - 45
Helmet - 280
Track Pads - 300
Tires - 800

Obviously I'll have to get tires eventually anyways, and I probably don't need track pads, but I've read so many stories of people destroying their stock pads that I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Maybe I can slowly build up things like a helmet and track pads so I can attend next time.
I'm in the exact same boat, minus the tire issue. I will probably end up waiting until next time, though I would really like to make it to this one.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:46 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

That's what tax returns are for guys
Old 01-05-2012, 05:15 PM

You dont NEED track pads. You can borrow a helmet. Even if you buy one, it'll last 10-15 years. Per year thats only a couple bucks. You'll need tires eventually. Experience is priceless, and it could save you an accident which would cost you more. Or getting track time might save you a ticket. Again, valuable.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by conzetts2k
Originally Posted by phaeton' timestamp='1324479709' post='21253487
[quote name='Mr. Nelson' timestamp='1324448174' post='21252873']
Hopefully plan to make it. Might be PCSing over to California before then. No worries cause the same weekend infineon raceway is doing one too! If not I'll have my helmet with me. Depending on who is in what group and how many cars there are, it might get divided into to different groups in a class. If so my helmet will be up for grabs on my "off" run if they allow it. I plan on getting new rotors and pads along with flushing brake fluid and coolant before the event if at all possible and again if I'm still around.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Do I smell a possible Fayetteville Tech Day?
Well I'd be down for it but who has a house to do it at? I live in an APT and Kirk is on base and fluid changes are not allowed on base.
[/quote]

I have a house to do it in Saint Pauls ... did the dragon last year and think I'll take the girlfriend to this track event .. on a side note I did an HPDE event at Portland International Raceway a while back .. got a "repot card" from the instructor that rode shot gun during the runs will this be enough to quailfy for Intermediate instead of Beginner? Reason I ask is I didn't apply for the Novice License after the last event like I should have. If anyone wants to link up before this in Fayetteville send me a PM. Peace. -Tyler
Old 01-08-2012, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedCelica
What about the fluid though, it's not going to get over 450F do you think?
CMP is terrible on brakes you might well boil the fluid.
Superblue is decent but the valvoline dot3/4 is nearly as good you can get it at auto parts store for $8.

If you are a novice then maybe Stock pads are ok at Roebling or Road Atlanta even but CMP I wouldn't do it.

I would get a Carbotech XP8 pad at least and do fluid for CMP.
I ran some intermediate pads (ferodo Ds2500) at CMP when I started and it was ok for a day but once I started braking hard they disintegrated.
If you run track pads be prepared to crack rotors there too worth taking a spare.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:17 AM

While i agree that going the extra mile on brakes is usually a great idea, as long as you arent treating it like a sprint race, you'll probably be okay. The short course is pretty tough on brakes, but if you do a cooldown lap between each hotlap, it should be okay. For novice, good idea to take it easy. You should not be approaching 80% of what you think you can do, and having a nice slow cooldown every other lap will give you more time to check out your line, try a different approach to a corner at low speed, etc. To learn, which is kind of the point. Theres no winning, but you can lose if you treat it like a competition.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Angrywankel
While i agree that going the extra mile on brakes is usually a great idea, as long as you arent treating it like a sprint race, you'll probably be okay. The short course is pretty tough on brakes, but if you do a cooldown lap between each hotlap, it should be okay. For novice, good idea to take it easy. You should not be approaching 80% of what you think you can do, and having a nice slow cooldown every other lap will give you more time to check out your line, try a different approach to a corner at low speed, etc. To learn, which is kind of the point. Theres no winning, but you can lose if you treat it like a competition.

you might be ok at cmp but the pads can get so hot the material just crumbles off them its not just brake fade is pad destruction
Old 01-08-2012, 04:31 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

You've seen this happen on OEM pads?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
You've seen this happen on OEM pads?
yea a few years ago a guy in HPDE2 burned them in 2 sessions he had to buy some spare hawks off someone he had run tracks a few times though so you might be ok on your first time I dunno I would take spares at least

Quick Reply: HPDE @ CMP