Carolinas A Better Place to Be

HPDE @ CMP

Old 12-19-2011, 06:41 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

“How Do I Progress up the HPDE ladder?”

Solo-ing: To “Solo” is to have the opportunity to practice the skills and lessons imparted by the NASA curriculum without having an in-car instructor present in the car. Only when a student has demonstrated an acceptable awareness, judgment and car control skill will an instructor allow a student to “solo”. How quickly a driver gets “soloed” is purely dependent upon the progress made by the individual driver

Advancing from one HPDE group to another: NASA Mid Atlantic sets certain milestones that much be reached in each HPDE level. How quickly a driver advanced to a higher HPDE level is purely dependent upon the progress made by the individual driver and the desire of the driver to advance.
http://www.nasaracing.net/hpde.htm
Old 12-19-2011, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
“How Do I Progress up the HPDE ladder?”

Solo-ing: To “Solo” is to have the opportunity to practice the skills and lessons imparted by the NASA curriculum without having an in-car instructor present in the car. Only when a student has demonstrated an acceptable awareness, judgment and car control skill will an instructor allow a student to “solo”. How quickly a driver gets “soloed” is purely dependent upon the progress made by the individual driver

Advancing from one HPDE group to another: NASA Mid Atlantic sets certain milestones that much be reached in each HPDE level. How quickly a driver advanced to a higher HPDE level is purely dependent upon the progress made by the individual driver and the desire of the driver to advance.
http://www.nasaracing.net/hpde.htm
Hmmmm... Between our two inputs, it sounds like it is possible but unlikely during the course of a single event.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 AM

I would agree.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:28 AM

You definitely CAN overheat the stock brakes. But most people new to tracking won't (shouldn't) be pushing it hard enough to. Would be a good idea to have a backup set of pads/rotors just in case. You'll need them eventually anyway, right?

Changing the fluid is 100% something you should do.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:41 AM

What about the fluid though, it's not going to get over 450F do you think?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:57 AM

Again, depends how hard you push it, and how long your sessions are. CMP has a couple hard braking zones, so its definitely possible. I use ATE Superblue / Typ 200 in my rx8, s2000, and lemons car. Its 12-20$ a litre, which is more than enough, and will NOT overheat. We ran the short course in the lemons car for 8-9 hours straight and didn't overheat. It's cheap and worth it. The last thing you want to do is overheat and lose brakes and f@#k up your car, or have to let the car cool down and miss out on instructor time because you didnt spend 15$ for good fluid for your 30,000$ Car.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:13 AM

Well the ATE stuff is good (dry) up to 563 deg., and the Amsoil goes up to 580 deg....so I think we'd be okay on stock brakes there.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 PM

Hopefully plan to make it. Might be PCSing over to California before then. No worries cause the same weekend infineon raceway is doing one too! If not I'll have my helmet with me. Depending on who is in what group and how many cars there are, it might get divided into to different groups in a class. If so my helmet will be up for grabs on my "off" run if they allow it. I plan on getting new rotors and pads along with flushing brake fluid and coolant before the event if at all possible and again if I'm still around.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Nelson
Hopefully plan to make it. Might be PCSing over to California before then. No worries cause the same weekend infineon raceway is doing one too! If not I'll have my helmet with me. Depending on who is in what group and how many cars there are, it might get divided into to different groups in a class. If so my helmet will be up for grabs on my "off" run if they allow it. I plan on getting new rotors and pads along with flushing brake fluid and coolant before the event if at all possible and again if I'm still around.

Do I smell a possible Fayetteville Tech Day?
Old 12-31-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by phaeton
Originally Posted by Mr. Nelson' timestamp='1324448174' post='21252873

Do I smell a possible Fayetteville Tech Day?
Well I'd be down for it but who has a house to do it at? I live in an APT and Kirk is on base and fluid changes are not allowed on base.

Quick Reply: HPDE @ CMP