Carolinas A Better Place to Be

HPDE @ CMP

Old 12-18-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Id like to get in for this, must order track pads asap.....
Old 12-19-2011, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on going completely stock - are track pads an absolute necessity or should I be ok with the new-ish OEM pads on it, <3000 miles?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:56 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Welcome, Chris. No, track pads aren't necessary. You'll be fine. Some people just want the added stopping power track pads offer. If you really want to be serious about your prep-work, I would recommend doing a flush though and putting in some premium DOT4 fluid.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Welcome, Chris. No, track pads aren't necessary. You'll be fine. Some people just want the added stopping power track pads offer. If you really want to be serious about your prep-work, I would recommend doing a flush though and putting in some premium DOT4 fluid.
Is this a good recommendation?

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=43
Old 12-19-2011, 05:31 AM

This is what I use. http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/acces...tail.jsp?ID=21

I just like it b/c it's blue and I can tell when it comes out from the end of the line during a bleed. It's well contrasted from standard brake fluid. I would trust anything from Amsoil as well and they do have a higher boiling point than ATE, so good stuff there.

I think you would be hard pressed to get stock pads and rotors to heat the bf enough to get over 450 deg. though.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:08 AM

Am I correct in thinking that this will be a "one person only" event for us? I was thinking about bringing my pops along, but I know that you have to have an instructor in the car with you for HPDE... Will we have any solo time later in the weekend or will it be with the instructor in the passenger seat the whole time?

Also, here's the track map, just for kicks:
Old 12-19-2011, 06:12 AM

You have to have an instructor? I am getting one, but Thomas would you provide the link that says this is a requirement?
Old 12-19-2011, 06:14 AM

Brett, I believe that's a part of HPDE... An instructor being in the car with you... And thus the difference in run class for beginners. I could be wrong, but I think you have to have an instructor with you in the beginner class. I will look and see what I can find.

Edit - From NASA:

Run Group Explanation

Group One (HPDE-1)
This is where you begin. This is one on one guidance from experienced racers, as you learn to control your car and yourself. Your mentor will provide you with guidance as you learn to drive at the limit. You will address how to approach a turn, the fast way around it, what gear should you be in, how to brake, and how to exit. The session generally includes a lead-follow session. Passing is very limited in the Group 1 Sessions.

Group Two (HPDE-2)
Your instructor has determined you can drive on your own and with less supervision. You apply what you learned in the Group 1 sessions to get more practice. Group 2 is often mixed with Group 1 and is for those drivers that want some more Group 1 seat-time, but do not need an instructor.

Group Three (HPDE-3)
You have progressed to the world of high performance driving. The passing rules in group 3 are not as strict. You must learn to share the track at high speeds with others.

Group Four (HPDE-4)
Congratulations! You have made it, no passing restriction except those of good judgment and rules of the road etiquette. You and your peers are now experiencing the joys of doing it right in a relatively safe and controlled environment! You can now enjoy high performance driving at its finest. Those that wish to can petition to apply for a competition license.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:23 AM

10-4. Good info, Thomas.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
10-4. Good info, Thomas.
No problem. I guess my question is if it's normal to "graduate" from Group One to Group Two during the course of a two-day event, or if that usually takes a couple of different events to make happen. Perhaps someone with HPDE experience can chime in.

Edit: Just messaged the guy I ALMOST bought an E36 M3 from instead of the S. He's an HPDE instructor, we'll see what he has to say.

Jason: unlikely because it screws up the run group and instructor assignments
Oh, well. Maybe next time.

Quick Reply: HPDE @ CMP