Carolinas A Better Place to Be

HPDE @ CMP

Old 12-16-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

It's actually going to be about $300 if you're not a NASA member

Yeah, 3/32 tire would actually be preferable.

I'll have pretty much brand new Star Specs on by the time this comes up...might actually scrub them in the rest of the way on the drive down.

Using stock everything!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by humbucker87
I might be interested in doing this. $230 seems pretty reasonable.

I've got to think ahead though about my tire and brake situation.

Right now my tires are as follows (each being x/32" and listed from outside in on the left and inside out on the right)

Front Left
5 6 4

Front Right
4 6 6.5

Rear Left
4 3.5 4

Rear Right
4 3 4

The car's going to mostly sit the rest of December, so I guess I'd put on about 1,000 miles max before February 11. Do you guys think I could run on about 3-4/32" of tread and then replace the tires right after.

As for brakes, I put on new OEM pads and rotors in July. Are you guys going to run stock pads? Or are you going to get track pads to use?
I don't think I have ever seen anyone take such detailed measurements of their tread depths. If you are going to have enough tread to make it through the event, sticking with what you've got is probably your best bet. I think that we will all (at least those who have commented on this so far) be in the same class of tire, so there's no need to worry about not having sticky tires. If you did get new tires, you would need to drive a good bit more than 1k miles to properly break them in before taking the car on the track. The first few 32nds of a new tire will handle a bit "greasy" because of the fluid on the mold, and I have generally seen that most tires are properly broken in after around 2k miles of mixed driving. Again, I would say that the ones you have are the best bet if they will have sufficient thickness left for the wear during the event.

I hadn't thought about getting new brake pads, but it might not be a bad idea seeing as this is going to be a 2-day event. I replaced my pads within the past 10k miles, but I wouldn't mind having a "track" set. I will probably go with the consensus of the crowd on this one.

Guess I'll be asking for a SNELL/DOT helmet for Christmas. If you all are looking as well, you might be interested to know that the first modular (i.e. the whole face flips up) helmet to ever be SNELL approved was approved within the past year. It's called the Zeus ZS-3000, and it's actually very affordable as these things go. They are hard to find for sale, but this sounds like a good bet to me since I would like the ability to flip the whole helmet face up in addition to the visor. SNELL approval is required for automobile track use.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:50 AM

If you're buying a helmet, make sure it's SA rated and not M!

While CMP allows for all Snell ratings (K/M/SA), if you ever want to go to VIR in the next, say, 5 years or so, you'll need an SA rating and not M!

The least expensive SA2010 I can find is $150, and it's open face. I like full-face so I'm looking at this one (I'm a brand-whore too): http://www.saferacer.com/bell-sport-...productid=2210
Old 12-16-2011, 01:45 PM

i sooooooooo wanna do this.... damn i wanna go, dunno if i will be.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica

While CMP allows for all Snell ratings (K/M/SA), if you ever want to go to VIR in the next, say, 5 years or so, you'll need an SA rating and not M!

The least expensive SA2010 I can find is $150, and it's open face. I like full-face so I'm looking at this one (I'm a brand-whore too): http://www.saferacer.com/bell-sport-...productid=2210
So if I have a couple year old motorcycle helmet, with the rating of Snell M95. That will be fine for this event, correct?
Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If my S2000 is back up and running by then you can count me in. Please be sure to bump this thread or post a reminder when its getting closer to the event date.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:45 AM

You need a full face SA. Sometimes you can get away with less, but dont. Its your head. You'll feel like an idiot if you die having saved a couple bucks. I am probably going to make a decision about this in the next few weeks. Have not done CMP with the S yet, but been there a couple times for lemons.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:45 AM

DO NOT HIT THE BUMP STRIPS. DO NOT.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:13 AM

hmm id like to go but im planning on taking leave and be out of town. man i do want to track my car though :/ like grandmasterkhan said, if you can post this again 30 days or a few weeks out ill try to make it.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by hsuis2cool
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1324068657' post='21243308

So if I have a couple year old motorcycle helmet, with the rating of Snell M95. That will be fine for this event, correct?
No, must be 2005 or higher.

Side note: If we can get enough people together, I'd be happy to do a group-booking on the nearest hotel and try to get us a discount! No promises

Quick Reply: HPDE @ CMP