Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Great eats in the RTP area?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Sep 28 2010, 12:03 PM
Well, you saved me a trip then.
yeah, we went there for drinks a while ago... not only did it take forever and a day, but girl got one mixed girly drink, i had a newcastle and a SMALLLLLL redbull/vodka, the tab was $32 not including any tip
Old 09-28-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play,Sep 28 2010, 11:30 AM
WOw you guys are awesome - thanks for all the tips!

s2ki > Yelp anyday

I don't have to stay in downtown Raleigh but with a preggie wife, we'd like to stay within a 45 min drive from Duke campus for dinner so as long as it's reasonable driving distance that's fine.

Will look up all those suggested places!

TIA,
rick
If you're in Durham, no need to go to Raleigh necessarily - plenty of great places in Durham and Chapel Hill.

In Chapel Hill/Carrboro, Crook's Corner is great artsy Southern cooking, Elaine's is French contemp that is more expensive but great - both change the menu seasonally/regularly. 411 West is good Italian, sister to 358 in Raleigh, and Trilusa Trattoria is great intimate Italian. La Residence is nice but pricey. Bonne Soiree is supposed to be good French (never been), as is Lantern, but I haven't eaten there since it re-opened.

There's Breadmens, Momma Dip's and Elmo's for breakfast in CH/Carrboro, Cosmic Cantina is great for a huge burrito on the cheap. Pepper's Pizza is a landmark - great calzones.

I think Top of the Hill and Spotted Dog are overrated personally. Spanky's across the street is good. Carolina Coffee Shop can be hit or miss. Not sure about the Ratheskeller or East End Oyster bar either, but I hear some good things.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:21 PM
T K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HKStallion,Sep 28 2010, 12:31 PM
georges garage is near duke, expensive but pretty good when i was there.
in chapel hill, you can do top of the hill. nice with a view of franklin street.
bella monica in raleigh is my wifes favorite.
George's Garage closed like 2 years ago now. Top of the Hill is great though. There are too many good places in Durham/Chapel Hill to list.

All depends on the type of food you want.
Mediterranean Deli in Chapel Hill is good also.
Four Corners for a sports bar has pretty good food.

Heard great things about Toast in Durham also.

Tylers Carolina Nacho's are addicting as hell, BBQ on nachons is amazingly good.

My favorite sushi is also Tasu in Brier Creek or Shiki in Durham
Old 09-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Tsau is really good.. Forgot about that place.. went there for lunch about a month ago.

Braza or however its spelled in brier creek is really good too. (brazilian style steak house)
Old 09-28-2010, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't go out to eat much, and wish that I did more often. I like to cook, that's part of why I don't go out much. Anyway...

Matt and some of the other s2ki gang introduced me to NOFO at Five Points, and I like that place a lot. I guess it's Contemporary American? Last time I was there, I had a lamb ragu over fettuccine that was incredible. Their prices are pretty reasonable, IMO, and the service has been great the three times I've been.

Tasca Brava, which was already mentioned, is outstanding for Spanish. I haven't been to Caffe Luna in a very long time, but it's nice to hear that it's still good.

For a steak, honestly, I stay home. Costco's meat department is excellent, and often has ribeyes for under $7/lb. I'm a simple guy with my steaks - salt, pepper, and pretty rare. It takes me longer to get to a restaurant and park than it does to cook a steak properly.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Lot's of good stuff in Durham, as others have mentioned.

The Magnolia Grill is a bit pricey, but very good, with local seasonal ingredients.

For some of the best Mexican food I've had around here (and for cheap) head to Taqueria La Vaquita. Best mexican I've had outside of mexico and san diego.

Tyler's is a good place to grab a beer and hang out with above-average pub-type food and really good garlic fries.

I like Akashi for sushi. Cheaper and better quality than shiki in my experience.

Trali is a very good irish pub in the brier creek area. The sheperds pie (really cottage pie) is very good but all of their british isles food is good. The beer is a bit too cold though.

The Angus Barn is good for steak, but I honestly prefer Ruth's Chris.

There are also a ton of small upscale restaurants scattered around downtown that are worth popping into on a whim.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:56 AM

Ugh, Trali is terrible imo.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Sep 29 2010, 01:56 PM
Ugh, Trali is terrible imo.
the food, service, beer, ambiance? I go there often and although it seems they had an off-night with the food once, normally it is very good.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:09 PM

Its not what I'd consider good Irish or even British food, especially compared to Tir na Nog or Oxford. Also, the benches are Catholic-school level uncomfortable. It much better as a place to drink and hang out though.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for italian, it's bella monica for me, every time. you'll want to make a reservation

Quick Reply: Great eats in the RTP area?