Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Great eats in the RTP area?

Old 09-27-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Great eats in the RTP area?

I've seen these threads for local sections to help suggest great places to dine around the area. Been Yelping but I always find the reviews on opposite spectrums for some odd reason.

Looking for a nice fine dining place that serves good Italian or French cuisine but I don't know the area well enough to search. Are most places near downtown Raleigh or should I venture more towards Chapel Hill?

Where do you guys take the lady on special occasions? Any suggestions?

Not looking to break the bank but just good food and nice decor, maybe some live music would be nice

rick
Old 09-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont know about rtp or chapel hill but head towards downtown raleigh and there are quite a few realllly good Italian restaurants. I dont know about French restaurants.. it never crosses my mind to look for them.

Tavola Rosa behind crabtree mall on Glenwood is awesome

518 west on west street downtown is also really good, picolla italian in camron village is on the cheaper side and really good as well.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:08 PM
mlc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you asked about Italian but if you want a great steak head to Sullivans http://www.sullivansteakhouse.com/locations.php.

And ask for the crab fried rice as a side...not on the menu but awesome.

Kevin
Old 09-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

IMHO, sullivans is over priced and not all that good..

I have only been about 3 times, but was unimpressed each time.

Bogarts has a better steak.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:30 PM
T K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that sullivans was good, but not "great"
Old 09-28-2010, 05:59 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Sullivans is also a chain - I try to avoid chains for local restaurants whenever possible.

That said, The Capital City Chop House is supposed to be good, but the three times I've been there my steak was overcooked, which is inexcusable for a steak place. The only reason I went three times is that the Gate City Chop House in Greensboro is always perfect. The Angus Barn is probably the best-known steak place in Raleigh, but I've never been.

For Italian, one great place in North Raleigh is San Carlo Italian Bistro. St. Jacques is probably the best known and best French restaurant in Raleigh. Tasca Brava is authentic Spanish/Portuguese food, but its expensive. Tavola Rosa is good like wadzii says. Lettuce Head in N Raleigh is great for salads. Michael Deans is good for seafood in Raleigh, and there's Blue Fins in Wake Forest. Vivace is supposed to be good Italian in North Hills...

If you are trying to stay downtown in Raleigh, The Oxford is pretty good for UK/Ireland food, The Mint is French-contemporary and you can usually buy a half-off coupon online for that place; very nice but pricey. The Pit is good for barbecue and Southern cooking. Tir na Nog is good Irish. Luna is great Italian. Solus serves contemporary and I hear its good but I've never been. Poole's downtown Diner is good and modern. Duck and Dumpling is worthwhile for Asian. Lily's Pizza in Five Points is good but way too crowded usually, but Bloomsbury is supposed to be a great place I want to check out.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:30 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

WOw you guys are awesome - thanks for all the tips!

s2ki > Yelp anyday

I don't have to stay in downtown Raleigh but with a preggie wife, we'd like to stay within a 45 min drive from Duke campus for dinner so as long as it's reasonable driving distance that's fine.

Will look up all those suggested places!

TIA,
rick
Old 09-28-2010, 07:52 AM
Banned

solas is overpriced and the staff is horrible.

I made reservations 3 different times, and 3 different times we walked out b/c they screwed it up or after 45 minutes we still didnt have drinks and the staff was about as snobby as could be.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by wadzii,Sep 28 2010, 11:52 AM
solas is overpriced and the staff is horrible.

I made reservations 3 different times, and 3 different times we walked out b/c they screwed it up or after 45 minutes we still didnt have drinks and the staff was about as snobby as could be.
Well, you saved me a trip then.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

georges garage is near duke, expensive but pretty good when i was there.
in chapel hill, you can do top of the hill. nice with a view of franklin street.
bella monica in raleigh is my wifes favorite.

brightleaf square is full of good stuff.
we like chamas over brasas in brier creek.
satisfactions and the irish bar are also good.

tylers near the DBAP is good

chop house is WAY overrated.

thats all i have for now

Dave

Quick Reply: Great eats in the RTP area?