Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Cracked Valve Retainer?

Old 07-21-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Valve Retainer?

I know it is a very common problem on AP1's.

My Ap1 has fairly high miles, and has been over revved I assume. CYlinder one is at 110 compression. While the rest are at 195. Thats wet and dry. Which leads me to believe its a valvetrain problem.

My question is, can a cracked retainer cause loss of compression?

If the answer is available easy by searching, then flame the shit out of me. Thank you to anyone who can help!

Cody
Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

improper valve adjustment can cause problems if their adjusted to tight. a cracked retainer can lead to adropped valve in which can destroy an engine. you can pull your valve cover and check your caps yourself. valve seats,burnt valves can cause problems too. i would investigate the issue before driving it any further.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would listen to yves if I were you. Do not start that car again until you pull the valve cover. As for cracked retainer causing compression loss. Most definately will if its failed to the point of holding the valve partially open. Could be other things as well, but start at the valves. Your looking for this.
Notice on the valve on the right how the stem is sunk down into the retainer. That cylinder had low compression. The rocker arm was riding on the retainer instead of the valve stem holding it open. The one on the left is an Ap2 retainer replacement. If one of them actually drops your gonna be buying a motor, so check before you run it again. Relatively cheap fix if this is the problem. Just replace the retainers and keepers with Ap2 stuff and your good to go.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:28 AM

hmm ok cool
Old 07-22-2012, 05:31 AM

while your checking, i would adjust the valves if you don't find anything apparent. you never know when the last time they were adjusted. who did your compression check?
Old 07-22-2012, 05:34 AM

Its the 3rd from the right yes?? The one that is messed up? Als will there be any other way of telling if the retainer is cracked?
Old 07-22-2012, 05:44 AM

not without removing the valve cover.in adams pic, the fourth from the left is bad. once you remove the cover, you'll be able to tell when looking. look around where the keepers capture the valve stem. if its cracked, it will be in that area extending outward. if valves are adjusted to tight, they do not shut completely hence compression leak.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can check if the lower compression is from the rings too. Just put a few drops of oil in the plug hole and see if the pressure goes up. If it does, the rings are weak.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by YELLOW JACKET
while your checking, i would adjust the valves if you don't find anything apparent. you never know when the last time they were adjusted. who did your compression check?
I did the compression test.

not without removing the valve cover.in adams pic, the fourth from the left is bad. once you remove the cover, you'll be able to tell when looking. look around where the keepers capture the valve stem. if its cracked, it will be in that area extending outward. if valves are adjusted to tight, they do not shut completely hence compression leak.
I know you have to remove the valve cover. I was asking if there were any other ways to tell by not removing the retainer.

Originally Posted by SgtB
You can check if the lower compression is from the rings too. Just put a few drops of oil in the plug hole and see if the pressure goes up. If it does, the rings are weak.
I said in my OP that It was 110 wet and dry. WHich led me to believe it was my valvetrain. Thanks for bringing it up though. Just in case someone didnt do that. It is always good to remind them.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:08 AM

the fourth from the left is bad.
lol that would also be 3rd from the right! confused me for a second.

Quick Reply: Cracked Valve Retainer?