Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Car Nearly Stalls During Cold Starts

Old 11-19-2014, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Nearly Stalls During Cold Starts

So, how's everyone enjoying this horrific crisp fall weather?

Personally, I am not a fan. I think the recent cold spell is affecting my S during cold starts. When I started my car yesterday morning (in the high 20s), the engine idled around 2k for a few seconds, then dropped to a few hundred rpms as if it were stalling. However, as soon as I gave it a bit of gas to keep it from dying, the idle returned to normal and everything was fine. Engine warmed up normally and the car drove as if nothing happened.

I wasn't too worried until it happened again this morning. After doing some research on here, it seems that the ECU sometimes has to "relearn" how to start in colder weather. Has anyone around here experienced this?

Also, some folks have let the fuel pump prime the system for a few moments before hitting the start button to compensate for the bogging. I've had the S since 2011 and have never had to do this in cold weather.

This issue has only happened in the morning after sitting all night. Car starts fine when I leave work. Car's been bulletproof since the rebuild--I would hate to think something is wrong again. Any ideas?
Old 11-19-2014, 10:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done a lot of research on this in the past. This is the 4th year in a row of me driving my car during winter.

It's pretty normal. My car used to do exactly what yours is.

This is the first year my car hasn't had any issues with starting in the cold, even in single digits.
I've read it's best to not tap the gas, because the ECU needs to learn on its own. In the past, I've let the car do it's thing, sometimes dying, but would always restart with no issues. Also, I would turn the key to the on position and let the seat belt warning beep until it finished, then start the car. Sometimes I would wait an additional 15 seconds or so before starting.

Doing those few steps, by the middle of winter, my car was starting without any hesitation, because the computer was finally used to the weather.

Last year I replaced the battery with an OE one, and this year just before winter I did a valve adjustment, and I haven't had any problems yet
Old 11-20-2014, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear! Today, I turned the key and waited about 10 seconds before starting the car--no issues whatsoever.

I didn't realize this was a thing. Good to know.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:07 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Yupp all very "normal" especially with wild swings in temps. If it gradually goes down the car will learn as it goes down and you could hit those super low numbers without issue. If you go from 55 to 20 the car is going to go WHAT THE?!?!

Sometimes the starter will get stuck too and grind for a second after you start......this is normal too.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinky
Sometimes the starter will get stuck too and grind for a second after you start......this is normal too.
Is that the terrible grinding noise that happens sometimes when I cold start the car?
Old 11-20-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by suprmonky73
Originally Posted by Pinky' timestamp='1416492458' post='23412006
Is that the terrible grinding noise that happens sometimes when I cold start the car?
More than likely.

My car has been doing that for the past 3 years, but still starts without any problems. I'm not going to worry about it until it doesn't start anymore because it's ~$400 new from Honda.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by suprmonky73
Originally Posted by Pinky' timestamp='1416492458' post='23412006
Lol, yes. That is typical starter sticking grind.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

New starter.......PSHHHH.......buy one used out of a salvaged car. Long as the teeth are ok it should be fine. You can pick those up cheap! Though, yes only replace if you need to.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After living in Philadelphia for a few years where winters are a decent bit colder, I never had the issue. now that the car has more miles i guess it's a little more worn
Old 11-22-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The IACV can get sticky in the cold if it's dirty. Check out Billman's howto on how to clean it.

Quick Reply: Car Nearly Stalls During Cold Starts