Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Cape Fear Region SCCA Meetings

Old 02-01-2004 | 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cape Fear Region SCCA Meetings

For all those interested in finding out more about the local SCCA events in the Cape Fear Region. We currently have monthly meetings in Wilmington and New Bern.

Info below:

The Cape Fear Chapter meetings are held the first Tuesday of each month at McAllisters Deli, 740 S. College Rd. Wilmington, NC. Meeting starts @ 7:30pm. The next meeting is Feb. 3rd.

Topics to be covered:

We will be dealing with the Solo events at the Twin Rivers Mall on Feb 22nd.,
and at UNCW on March 7th.

Bill have a test day scheduled for Feb. 29th at the UNCW lot to check out the course
with the help of Sean Scott, who has considerable Solo course design experience from
the Oklahoma Region.

Bill is asking all of the Wilmington CFC members, and other Autocross enthusiasts to come
out the the meeting on Feb 3rd. so that we can organize a reliable crew to handle the UNCW event.

If you can't make the Wilmington meeting we also have a new group forming in the New Bern area.
The Feburary SCCA "Coastal" meeting is scheduled for February 4th at 7 pm. We will be meeting at a new location in New Bern. Famous Pizza and Subs, 2210 Neuse Boulevard New Bern, NC. A map to Famous Pizza can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/3degm

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2004 | 12:18 PM

Thanks for posting, see you Tuesday!
Old 02-02-2004 | 12:49 PM

Originally posted by VFROOOM
Thanks for posting, see you Tuesday!
Hey that's my line!
Old 02-02-2004 | 07:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cutuesday
Old 02-03-2004 | 11:34 AM

No, you don't have to be an SCCA member to attend these meetings. We encourage anyone who is interested in motorsports (road racing, autocross, and rallies) to attend.

I also don't know why they chose Famous Pizza, but I'm sure they would take your suggestions for alternative locations.

Jeff
Old 02-03-2004 | 01:28 PM

Originally posted by ArtnZen

I also don't know why they chose Famous Pizza, but I'm sure they would take your suggestions for alternative locations.

Jeff
This is probably where Raul would suggest.

A really great restaurant if I may say so myself.
Old 02-03-2004 | 01:48 PM
Former Moderator

Actually, they were meeting at Franco's, but the back house of the restaurant can not be blocked or reserved for a small party. I think some issues may have arised, hence the new locale. No problem, really. Just wondering where Famous has a room at that would serve the purpose.

I really, really wanted to attend, but I am conducting a sales meeting tomorrow night at the Texas steakhouse for my associates. Damn shame that I won't be able to make it. Had I remembered, I would have made the Wilmington drive tonight.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-03-2004 | 05:22 PM

We had 18 attend the Wilmington SCCA meeting tonite.

Auto-X interest is picking up in Wilmy!
Old 02-05-2004 | 05:27 PM
Former Moderator

Any news and info to share? I was unable to attend the New Bern dinner meet. Please share some info.
Old 02-06-2004 | 12:08 PM

Sure: Quite a bit was discussed, here's a recap.

- 6 Attendees to the Feb 19th Safety Stewards course which will assure the events will be able to run. At least 1-Safety Steward is required at each event, 2 req'd of one is running in the event.
- Experienced Auto-X organizers from Tarheel Sports Car Club will be helping with the New Bern event.
- Course design has been finalized at UNCW March 7th event (Feb 29th pre-run). Looks like a interesting design with 2 laps to be completed for the official runs.
- Large posters were handed out for the Tango at Twin Rivers Feb 22nd
- New Timing System test completed and it performed well.
-Another test on Sunday Feb 8th at Twin Rivers Mall will again test the course and the timing system.
- Everyon who drives will be required to work in some capacity to be determined at each event. They will have minimum staffing requirements, likely assigned by the Chief of Workers for : Tech, Crowd Control, Starter, Finish Line , Timing & Scoring, etc.
- Discussed bringing brooms, leaf blowers etc. to help clean the racing line from sand, debris etc. Novice class, Classification of cars, importance of preregistering, amount of runs etc.

Seems to be a pent up demand for Auto-X due to the Tarheel's events being at max participation.

Generally things look good for the Cape fear region for 2004!

Quick Reply: Cape Fear Region SCCA Meetings