Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Anyone familiar with Asheville area? Looking to spend a day/night there

Old 11-13-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by matthugie
GUTI007 is pretty well spot on with his recommendations. Curate is fantastic but you may have trouble getting a reservation as they tend to book up early, but you might be OK if it's a Thursday. If you like ribs 12 Bones is absolutely delicious but is only open for lunch. I would also recommend hitting Wicked Weed for a beer or two, I've really liked everything I've had from them. I've heard the Sierra Nevada brewery is incredible but I haven't made it out there yet.

Where we differ is our opinion of the Chocolate Lounge, though it may well depend on what you get. Their baked goods are quite good but their hot chocolate and milkshakes are amazing. I'm not much into sweet stuff but my wife, who takes dessert very seriously, insists we stop there every time we're in town. Just my $0.02.
Let me clarify! Old Chocolate Lounge - AWESOME!!! The new location near the Vance monument - UGH!!! Tourist CENTRAL. Nothing like a Stout Float!!!

And yes - Wicked weed is a man among boys in the smaller craft market (if you can call them small anymore...) - Try their candied Brussels sprouts - yeah...they're that good.

Another clarification - Ben's Tune Up is not a bar but a former auto shop turned bar with great selection, great vibe, and good snack food...it's a local favorite and someone with a Red GT-R is ALWAYS there...
Old 11-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks so much guys! No S2000 for me anymore unfortunately. I did just buy a new Mustang GT with Performance Pack though so I will be taking that with me to have some fun in the mountain roads!

I didn't know Sierra Nevada was there. Awesome. I would love to check that out! Possibly this trip or I'll make a 2nd trip just to go see that!
Old 11-14-2015, 04:45 PM

Received 214 Likes on 147 Posts

Wait, Ben's is a sake brewery? Guess where I'm heading on my next free weekend..
Old 11-15-2015, 07:59 AM
Former Sponsor

I am thinking of heading there tomorrow as weather doesn't look good towards end of the week. Are things still remotely happening on a Monday night there?
Old 11-15-2015, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Moddiction
I am thinking of heading there tomorrow as weather doesn't look good towards end of the week. Are things still remotely happening on a Monday night there?
Yes - and you miss all the tourists. If you get a chance to try Cold Mountain by Highland Brewing, take the chance.

Always do a quick check before going somewhere on a Monday though to make are they aren't closed just because
Old 11-15-2015, 10:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Ok great. Just booked tomorrow night at Indigo. Looks like all the breweries in walking distance are open so I'll be hitting those up.

Are the roads to there coming from Charlotte area nice? Or is there a specific road once there to go drive? I'll be coming up 77 and then over to 44 I think it is. Can't remember for sure.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:40 PM

Get on the BlueRidge parkway and go north or south for however long and then turn around and come back. Make a few stops and snap some pics.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok nice. Are there cut outs on side of road to stop?
Old 11-16-2015, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Ok nice. Are there cut outs on side of road to stop?
Yes - every 5 miles or so there a turn off for a overlook. 90% of them are paved.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Awesome! Looks like I'll have lots of nice weather today and tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with Asheville area? Looking to spend a day/night there