Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Anybody here race/track days

Old 09-05-2006, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody here race/track days

Just like the topic says. Does anybody on here race or do track days? I'm looking at getting into some form of getting on an actual race track but I'm not too interested in auto-x. Anybody in the Raleigh area especially. Any tips on getting involved?
Old 09-06-2006, 04:41 AM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I joined NASA a few years back.They had organized events at several tracks. VIR,CMP,Summit Point to name a few close by. I have done a bucnh of HPDEs at those tracks. You might check out their site.
www.nasaproracing.com

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:40 PM

i'm trying to schedule CMP for 11/11 with a buddy and his Z
Old 09-07-2006, 03:42 AM

The Central Carolina Region of the SCCA has an event next weekend (Sept 16-17) at CMP. The entry fees are a VERY reasonable $165 for one day or $265 for both days, with instructor.

Fore more info., check their website - www.ccrscca.org

hope to see you there!
Old 09-07-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,

I know you said you weren't too interested in autocross, But TSCC's next event at Danville Airport is relatively open and high speed for an autocross. Back when I had a CRX, I crossed the finish at over 80 mph and saw more powerful cars finish over 100 mph. You might want to give this one a try. Just bring plenty of sunscreen and some shade if you come.

Here's a link to the NC clubs that make up the NC Autocross Championships. The Tarheel Club is the one in your area.

http://www.auto-x.com/ncac.htm
Old 09-08-2006, 12:46 PM

I'm in the Raleigh area and try to make it to the track at least once a year. The easiest way to get involved is to just pick a date and go. There are two tracks within a (somewhat) reasonable driving distance that do frequent track days and allow our cars to run with the stock roll hoops (i.e. you don't need an after-market roll bar): Carolina Motorsports Park (CMP) in South Carolina and Roebling Road Raceway in Georgia.

Carolina Motorsports Park
Roebling Road Raceway

Turn One Motorsports does track days at CMP. The Atlanta S2000 guys will also occasionally rent the track for themselves, and Carolina folks can sometimes get in if all the spots aren't already taken. Seat Time does track days at Roebling.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:01 PM

Also, there have been a couple of threads trying to get a group of Carolina folks to attend a particular track day.

Track Thread 1
Track Thread 2

It sounds like the October 14 & 15 Turn-One event at CMP might be attended by a few folks. Saturdays are tricky for me in the fall because I'm a college football junkie. I might make Sunday the 15th, though.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:26 PM

batquano - The way that the NASA site reads, I would have to have a rollbar. Do the oem roll hoops qualify?
Old 09-16-2006, 03:44 PM

I am going to try to make it to the CMP event in Oct. I also suggest Seat-Time. I have done several of their days. They run a top notch event. I amalso going to join NASA this upcoming year as I am going to do their HPDE/TT events.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:56 PM

This may be a stupid question, but is there anything I shoould know about insurance? Im thinking that my policy would not cover an accident on a race track but I haven't looked at the policy. Is there some kind of insurance I should look into or would an accident on track just be my loss?

Quick Reply: Anybody here race/track days