Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Would you remap a FWD turbo ?

Old 10-06-2008, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John57,Oct 3 2008, 04:34 PM
I know someone who has just had one remapped - albeit a manual Edition 30. He had the work done by AmD and was really happy ... until he had some warranty work and they reflashed the ECU ! He now has to go back to AmD to get them to put the map back on ....

Once his car is sorted I will go out in it.
Good thinking - AmD are a well respected company for VAG work so it's definately worth a go.

I've got a standard Megane 225 myself and I've driven a chipped version that has 260bhp which whilst undeniably quicker was an absolute dog to drive.

Torque steer in second gear really was shocking and it all felt rather too much for the chassis. R26 F1 Megane is different - very hard shocks and an LSD.

I think the Golf has a more balenced chassis, although it definately give it a try first!
Old 10-06-2008, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smnasn,Oct 2 2008, 09:43 PM
I imagine if there were internet car forums in the 70s, when the original Golf GTi came out there would be posts reading "120bhp in a FWD car - madness"
I would just like to point out the MK 1 GTI had all of 110bhp and seemed incredibly quick at the time, but then the other cars on the road were mostly things like moggy 1000's so the speed differential was enormous
Old 10-06-2008, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Shopman,Oct 6 2008, 01:27 PM
but then the other cars on the road were mostly things like moggy 1000's
Yep. Guess which one I had

Old 10-23-2008, 01:48 PM

Update ....

Went out in work colleagues AmD modified car ...... 312bhp instead of 230bhp courtesy of remap and Milltek exhaust only ..... was it quicker than standard .....

.... yes - lots

Was it actually driveable - yes amazing though it may seem .....

Would I have it done to my car Too quick to be fun for me - I like to thrash something a bit rather than be completely pinned to the seat all the time. The other consideration for me is the huge leap in torque many of the remaps cause as the turbo comes in isn't good for the DSG boxes - apparently.

The only 2 tuners who seem to cater for the DSG box and have switchable remaps which will go back to standard are APR and Superchips.

APR is probably the best map but
Old 10-23-2008, 02:57 PM

Let me know how you get on. I'm taking deliver of an S-Tronic S3 in March and might think about a remap .

The S-Tronic is a different box from the volkswagen DSG same principle though, allows for more torque and has an additional gear which is new. I suspect the torque issue is just a reprogramming issue and that it will be figured out eventually
Old 10-23-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by darrenswift,Oct 3 2008, 07:56 AM
I wish I'd tried out the chip before getting an E46 330D chipped. The car was a minter with low mileage and the Superchip (not so in my case) ruined it. Kick down on the auto box suffered and I really regret getting it done. If you can find a place to give you a try before you buy scenario, definitely opt for this. It'd be such a shame to be disappointed afterwards, when you have such a lovely car in the first place
I had our BMW E46 330D re-mapped and its brilliant!!!
The autobox loves it kicks down quicker and builds torque and power faster!!! its awesome!!
Old 10-24-2008, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Boab01,Oct 23 2008, 11:57 PM
Let me know how you get on. I'm taking deliver of an S-Tronic S3 in March and might think about a remap .

The S-Tronic is a different box from the volkswagen DSG same principle though, allows for more torque and has an additional gear which is new. I suspect the torque issue is just a reprogramming issue and that it will be figured out eventually
Will do .... I think the torque is held well back for the DSG and the remap a 'soft' one in comparison to others .... The other companies aren't as bothered as Superchips about DSG but I would rather play safe as the car is so new .....
Old 10-24-2008, 03:10 PM

I had a the new 2.0T fwd TT as a loan car earlier this year.

Same engine and even as standard I found it had two much power.

The TC light was on all too often and when off then tyres were easily smoked.

I guess some of that is down to me having driven RWD cars for the last 5 years, but I'm still doubious about any benefit you'll get other than for overtaking.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by CiderBoy,Oct 25 2008, 12:10 AM
I had a the new 2.0T fwd TT as a loan car earlier this year.

Same engine and even as standard I found it had two much power.

The TC light was on all too often and when off then tyres were easily smoked.

I guess some of that is down to me having driven RWD cars for the last 5 years, but I'm still doubious about any benefit you'll get other than for overtaking.
I think I've only seen the TC light flicker once in 6 months .... I've only had RWD or 4WD cars for the last 10 years .... maybe we drive differently

.... It may also be the fact the TT engine is different to the Edition 30 with more torque low down as opposed to the Ed 30 which produces it's power higher up the rev range and really pulls to the red line. They are noticeably different engines to 'drive'.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:08 AM

Nick, I suspect the problems you had with the TT related to the TT chassis and suspension, the S3 was loads of fun and not understeery at all - no TC lights flickering but it was hugely powerful, I'll find out what the price to change from the Volvo chip on to the S3 chip with BSR is I'm hoping it's not much

Quick Reply: Would you remap a FWD turbo ?