Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Who worries about leaving their car parked up?

Old 10-21-2009, 03:52 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JimUK,Oct 21 2009, 11:51 AM
Thats how the guy with the Lambo feels and I would feel the same. Its not a matter of being able to afford the door repairs and resprays, its just annoying that they happen in the first place, whatever car you might drive...
howling at the moon Jim

understandable but pointless

Old 10-21-2009, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Oct 21 2009, 03:24 AM
Sorry I thought you implied he was worried about the cost of it getting damaged?

I don't disagree at all. He should be able to leave it anywhere, but frankly, as you must know, those days (if they ever existed) have long gone.

There are plenty of places where you can park a car like that - but many where you should expect problems if you do.

But as I said, if he 'feels' he cannot leave it anywhere and is going to fret about it, he would be better off getting rid of the car. Because he will not be able to change the general attitude out there with regard to other peoples' pride and joy.
He's not worried about the cost of the damage, just pissed off if anything like that happens and with the encounters hes already had after less than 2 months ownership!

It sounded like he might already be regretting buying it to honest. He said every speed bump requires the use of the lifting gear, its a pain to get in and out of and has luggage space for one medium bag! But he was talking about one for ages so had his heart set on owning one! His last car was a Maser Cambiocorsa Spyder which was gorgeous, and I dont think he quite realised how hardcore a Lamborghini is!!
Old 10-21-2009, 04:55 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's one of the reasons I cannot really get excited about the Gallardo and cars of its ilk, TBH.

It's such a stupid shape, it barely fits into parking spaces (which are out of proportion to fat-assed fat-doored modern saloon cars anyway!) and is hardly maneouverable. So careless parking means it's more vulnerable than a more ordinary thing.

Having said that, I do sympathise with the Gallardo owner - it's his free choice after all. I also get preoccupied with having to park my decade-old Prelude near twats, too.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:33 AM

I'm not that worried cos I only drive a Honda

However when I first bought my Williams, I was obviously very proud and took great pride in keeping it very clean.

I parked up and the guy next to me got out and banged his door in to my car I wasn't that angry but I said to him "sorry mate but can you be careful" and his response was and get this ............ "sorry, but don't worry this is a hire car!"

I was like, yeah but what about my car? Luckily there was no damage as they both hit the plastic door strips!!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by (S2K4ME),Oct 21 2009, 05:33 AM
plastic door strips!!
I swear people think these are to be used to open their door into yours!

I refuse to park anywhere near any kind of MPV or estate car cos little kids care even less!

TBH it doesn't matter if you drive a Gallardo or a Shit-box, if your car is your P & J your going to always feel the same anxieties when parking up.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:58 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cheggers,Oct 21 2009, 01:46 PM

TBH it doesn't matter if you drive a Gallardo or a Shit-box, if your car is your P & J your going to always feel the same anxieties when parking up.
nope, in my beaters or my partner's car, I really don't care

I can completely disregard a new scratch or dent

unless I am in the car when it happens

having said that, I suppose it's not a million miles between my attitude to beaters and not giving a monkey's about someone else's p and j

petrolheads seem very considerate

the worst offenders seem to be:

old people (can't get in or out without fully opening doors)
little kids (no concept of the damage they might do)
chavs driving 4x4s (invariably too fat to squeeze out, coupled with an attitude)
anyone driving a real heap (fu atttude, green-eyed monster syndrome)
Old 10-21-2009, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Oct 21 2009, 04:55 AM
It's such a stupid shape, it barely fits into parking spaces (which are out of proportion to fat-assed fat-doored modern saloon cars anyway!) and is hardly maneouverable. So careless parking means it's more vulnerable than a more ordinary thing.
My Passat hardly fits into most spaces, and that is supposedly a medium sized car!

The Gallardo he has is fitted with a reversing camera, which he was told immediately by the salesman at Lamborghini Manchester not to rely on when reversing as apparantly objects are actually closer than they seem on the screen! Slowly, slowly, slowly.. BANG! That'll be £5k for a new rear bumper sir!
Old 10-21-2009, 06:24 AM

Yep, I am always careful where I park my car

Only had one car damaged and that was on a mate's driveway

His air head (but fit ) girlfriend pulled up behind my car, chose to leave her auto merc panzerwagon running and in drive whilst she unloaded some stuff and didn't set the parking brake properly............crunch !!!

Damage can happen anywhere........
Old 10-21-2009, 06:41 AM
TRW

I agree with an earlier post about it being annoying whatever car you own.

My previous car was a VW Polo which although it was a beater I still got extremely pissed off when people dented it. I think I get more annoyed now because I know it will cost more to replace but its near enough the same thing.

Im going back to having a beater because of the constant dents that appear on my car no matter where i seem to leave it (apart from outside my house) and im getting fed up of thinking how much each one is knocking off the resale value.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:46 AM

On the other hand - if you go around west London its quite amazing to see the amount of Aston Martins etc. parked on the side of the road (unwashed and apparently unloved) and people using them as if they were a Focus or something. Always makes me smile that people can spend that amount on a car and not really care about it.

I'm with Gad - beaters are fabulous for carefree trips, and keep the miles and the damage off your nice car.

Quick Reply: Who worries about leaving their car parked up?