Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Who worries about leaving their car parked up?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who worries about leaving their car parked up?

I know there's been lots of carparking threads but a chat with a friend this week made me think I wonder if i'd bother getting anything half decent again due to the worry of parking it anywhere in public!

The guy I know recently bought a 57 plate Gallardo Spyder with just 3k on the clock. Its immaculate, in grey and looks stunning. Didnt get to go for a spin but he said he will take me out at some point. We got chatting about parking up as he said he already had a few encounters. First day he parked up at a nice countryside restaurant, end space away from others, and came out to find a Clio parked about a foot from his passenger door. Fortunately he said it had not dented his door but he doesnt know how the driver got out without hitting his car!

He has since parked it up while having a coffee and found someone drove past and spat on it, and he was sat with it in sight! Also while in sight and parked on a road, some girls parked in the space behind about 6 inches from his rear bumper, blocking him in and he was only about to leave as the car in front drove off!

Nothing major granted but he's not someone who can spend £90k on a car and not worry about it getting damaged (ie not a footballer!). I worried about the S and in the 2.5 years of parking carefully while i owned it, it received 2 parking dents, a cracked number plate where someone reversed into it and it was shot with a paintball gun while parked up on a busy road on a saturday lunchtime (fortunately this didnt do any damage).

I really dont think I would feel happy leaving something a bit special anywhere in public, on the road let alone in a carpark. Which is a damn shame. How many others feel like that?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my neighbours can't park for toffee. They either park in a space and a half or 6 inches from the front of me with 10ft infront of them .

Had similar to your pal in ASDA, I parked in the far corner, at the edge of space on the end to GUARANTEE no one would park next to me and ding the car, was in there 2 mins tops, came out, some larry had parked half in each space next to me about 2ft from the car....why oh why i ask myself....jsut to pi$$ us off thats why....If i can;t have it, neither should you attitude.

The in-laws moved to Cyprus last year, I am on the next flight. slippery slope for the UK if you have anything nice....or even aspire to!
Old 10-21-2009, 02:52 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

pointless having the car if the worrying is going to outweigh any pleasure derived from owning/driving it

sorry to bang on about it, but if you buy a car like that and then have to worry about the financial implications of running it, you are missing the point

the cars are made for people who care as much about the financial implications of running one, as most people do about running a Mondeo

if you use a car like that on an everyday basis, it's certain to pick up casual damage and likely to be vandalised

anything I own that's eye-catching, and I've never spent anywhere near £90K on a car, is only used for high days and holidays and parked where it can be watched over

no worries at all then
Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cars are, in all honesty, just a bit of metal and plastic (and occasionally leather).

I don't derive (much) pleasure from looking at the cars i own, I get it from driving them. So I keep my cars tip top inside and mechanically and don't worry overly about the outside unless it's time to sell on.

There's always some other idiot to ding your car, scratch it, spit on it, egg it, whatever.

If you're that worried, don't buy a nice car.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:13 AM

What a sad indictment on british society.
Its a shame that people can't enjoy their possessions without fear that some ignorant person will want to damage it for no good reason.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Oct 21 2009, 02:52 AM
pointless having the car if the worrying is going to outweigh any pleasure derived from owning/driving it

sorry to bang on about it, but if you buy a car like that and then have to worry about the financial implications of running it, you are missing the point

the cars are made for people who care as much about the financial implications of running one, as most people do about running a Mondeo

if you use a car like that on an everyday basis, it's certain to pick up casual damage and likely to be vandalised

anything I own that's eye-catching, and I've never spent anywhere near £90K on a car, is only used for high days and holidays and parked where it can be watched over

no worries at all then
Gad, he isnt worried about the financial implications of running it, he has budgeted at least £10k for running it for the next 18 months (its got a years warranty still) and its only a weekend car (3-4 per year).

My point is that he wants to keep it looking mint, and why shouldnt he, its his hard earned cash that hes bought it with, not rented by the way. And that means never leaving it anywhere which sort of ruins the whole owning your dream car thing! I could afford to own an S but it didnt mean i didnt worry about where i parked it! I (like others) want my cars to look and drive well, whats wrong with that?
Old 10-21-2009, 03:24 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JimUK,Oct 21 2009, 11:17 AM
Gad, he isnt worried about the financial implications of running it, he has budgeted at least £10k for running it for the next 18 months (its got a years warranty still) and its only a weekend car (3-4 per year).

My point is that he wants to keep it looking mint, and why shouldnt he, its his hard earned cash that hes bought it with, not rented by the way. And that means never leaving it anywhere which sort of ruins the whole owning your dream car thing! I could afford to own an S but it didnt mean i didnt worry about where i parked it! I (like others) want my cars to look and drive well, whats wrong with that?
Sorry I thought you implied he was worried about the cost of it getting damaged?

I don't disagree at all. He should be able to leave it anywhere, but frankly, as you must know, those days (if they ever existed) have long gone.

There are plenty of places where you can park a car like that - but many where you should expect problems if you do.

But as I said, if he 'feels' he cannot leave it anywhere and is going to fret about it, he would be better off getting rid of the car. Because he will not be able to change the general attitude out there with regard to other peoples' pride and joy.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:37 AM

As Gad says, there are plenty of places in the country you can park a nice car without any problems.
I can think of a few dozen golf courses, hotels, restaurants and gyms around my way where people park very pricey cars without any concern.

But parking something shiny in a generic public carpark is unfortunately going to get the attention of the local bastards.

When I bought a new Audi I was constantly worried about where I would park it to not get it damaged or subject to petty vandalism, to the extent I would take my beat up old truck rather than the nice car when I went somewhere – it became self defeating.

It’s one of the reasons I bought a cheaper S.
It looks at home in the nice places, but I’m also not worried about parking it outside Tescos or leaving it in a generic carpark in town.
Ill still be annoyed with petty vandalism like door dings but I won’t be as angry as I would be if someone hit my showroom fresh car.

It’s a shitty situation, but it’s the same the world over.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:42 AM

I rarely take my c4s anywhere like supermarkets. I love cleaning and looking after both our cars and would be spitting feathers if someone opened a door onto it. Unfortunatley a car is not a piece of metal to me, its something like our house in that we have worked hard to afford it and we try to keep both as immaculate as we can.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mole,Oct 21 2009, 03:42 AM
I rarely take my c4s anywhere like supermarkets. I love cleaning and looking after both our cars and would be spitting feathers if someone opened a door onto it. Unfortunatley a car is not a piece of metal to me, its something like our house in that we have worked hard to afford it and we try to keep both as immaculate as we can.
Thats how the guy with the Lambo feels and I would feel the same. Its not a matter of being able to afford the door repairs and resprays, its just annoying that they happen in the first place, whatever car you might drive...

Quick Reply: Who worries about leaving their car parked up?