Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk
View Poll Results: Who is more despicable in F1?
Bernie
38.78%
Herr Schumacher
12.24%
Alonso
46.94%
Eddie Jordan
2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Who is more despicable in F1?

Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eddie Jordan = Gobshite

But mildly entertaining in small doses.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:39 AM

Alonso is my winner as well! A talented driver but completely corrupt and spoilt

Check out his Wikipedia profile - there is no other driver in F1 history that has so much controversial baggage that go with them

Controversies

At the 2003 European Grand Prix, David Coulthard and McLaren managing director Martin Whitmarsh accused Alonso of giving the Scottish driver a brake test. This was in relation to a passage of racing towards the end of the race when Coulthard was trying to overtake Alonso, who was holding him up. Coulthard swerved off the track and into retirement during an attempted overtake. After talking to the drivers and viewing telemetry and video data, the FIA stewards decided that the incident did not warrant any "further judicial action".

At the 2006 Hungarian Grand Prix, Alonso was involved in an incident in which he brake tested Red Bull Racing test driver Robert Doornbos in the second free practice session. The stewards decided that Alonso’s actions were “unnecessary, unacceptable and dangerous”, and awarded him a one second time penalty to be applied to his fastest lap time in each of the qualifying sessions.

After a separate incident from the same race, when Michael Schumacher was asked whether he thought Alonso deliberately slowed down so that Schumacher had to pass him under red flags in practice, Schumacher replied, "You said that, I didn't."

In the 2006 Italian Grand Prix, after stewards ruled Alonso had potentially blocked Felipe Massa in Saturday qualifying and relegated him five places on the starting grid, Alonso stated "I love the sport, love the fans coming here — a lot of them from Spain but I don't consider Formula One like a sport any more".

In the qualifying for the 2007 Hungarian Grand Prix, while both McLarens were in the pits, Alonso remained stationary in the McLaren pit for a few seconds. This delayed the then provisional pole sitter (and his team mate), Lewis Hamilton long enough to prevent him from getting another 'hot lap' in. Alonso then went on to claim pole. McLaren boss Ron Dennis later said the team had got "out of sequence" when Hamilton did not as agreed allow Alonso past earlier in the qualifying session. He added that Alonso was "under the control of his engineer" when he was waiting in the pit lane. However, Alonso was subsequently given a five-place grid penalty and his McLaren team were docked the 15 constructors' World Championship points they would have earned in the race.

As a result of this investigation, it emerged that some team members within McLaren, among them Alonso, were aware of confidential information belonging to the Ferrari team. This information was commented on to Alonso by McLaren test driver Pedro de la Rosa who had also received information from McLaren chief designer Mike Coughlan. The email contained text suggesting that Alonso was surprised by the data and doubted its authenticity. According to the "spygate" related email exchanges between Alonso and de la Rosa, it was clear that Alonso knew about Ferrari's pit strategies in the Australian Grand Prix and Bahrain Grand Prix. Alonso finished 2nd and 5th respectively in those races. Ron Dennis told the FIA about the case during the Hungarian Grand Prix. Amid media allegations that Alonso threatened Dennis with reporting the team to FIA himself if he was not given number one driver status, Ron Dennis stated in a televised interview that there had been an argument, and that Alonso had said something in the heat of the moment but immediately apologised. This was when Dennis found out about Ferrari data and immediately informed the FIA. Pitlane sources have suggested, from published FIA stewards data, that an argument involving reporting the McLaren team to the FIA was prompted by the fact that there was no stewards' investigation regarding the qualifying pitlane incident until Anthony and Lewis Hamilton made a formal complaint on the Saturday evening; costing Alonso a five-place grid penalty and loss of Constructors' Points for the team. FIA then revealed that it had had knowledge of the Spygate case thanks to a slip made by Coughlan.

In what became known in the media as "Crashgate", Renault allegedly ordered Alonso's teammate Nelson Piquet Jr. to crash at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix, causing a safety-car incident at a moment where Alonso would get tremendous benefit from his race strategy, putting him towards the front of the grid, and giving him a fighting chance to win the race, after a number of opponents (Felipe Massa, Robert Kubica and Kimi Räikkönen to name a few) suffered. However, the FIA confirmed that no evidence had shown that Alonso had knowledge of the plan, and neither did many of the personal mechanics of both drivers.

In the 2010 German Grand Prix at Hockenheim, Alonso became involved in a controversy with fellow team-mate Felipe Massa, as Ferrari were accused of using team orders during the race. The incident started when Massa was leading the race and Ferrari engineer Rob Smedley said "Fernando is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?".

Shortly after this, Felipe Massa was overtaken by Fernando Alonso in what appeared to be team orders. Shortly after the race notable people of the senior personnel in Ferrari, Massa and Alonso were summoned to the stewards. The matter was then referred to the FIA World Motor Sport Council. and Ferrari were given a $100,000 fine but the result of the race was unchanged.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:56 AM

Murray Walker

Old 08-03-2010, 05:40 AM
ge2

The fans that keep funding it?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eddie Jordan.

As Christian Horner said during one quali, when Eddie Jordan "question" was drowned out by an engine

"I didn't hear what you said Eddie, but that doesn't usually matter"

All i hear from EJ is "Me Me Me, what I did, I'd do, let's talk about me"
Old 08-03-2010, 07:31 AM

Chilled you missed the preceding 5 minutes of gobsh!te about why he is asking the question that he has yet to ask
Old 08-03-2010, 07:40 AM

Exactly. Alonso is a cheating bastard but he's fast (sometimes) and provides entertainment. Same with Herr Schumacher. Hate him, but he used to be awesome behind the wheel.

I have lots of respect for the billionaire Bernie. Even if he is an evil dwarf.

But EJ annoys the living shit out of me.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 AM

Bernie...yes he's an evil dwarf

Schumacher....to slow to be of concern now

Eddie Jordan....keep asking the awkward questions mate

Alonso.....I could happily punch the cheating, greasy spanish tw*t in the face repeatedly until I got bored or tired.....and that would take a very long time

I'm not a fan of his
Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 AM

Yes EJ occasionally asks awkward questions. But he never gets and answer and it's surrounded by such self-propaganda shite that I lose interest.

It's like having to listen to the entire works of enya before going for a drive. Any sane person would just give up driving...
Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 AM

lol

I can't believe how many people don't like Fred Alonso. I still fondly remember him over taking Ralf Schumacher in the Monaco tunnel, getting on the "marbles" and crashing out because of his error. The sod then had the nerve to blame Ralf for his retirement from the race

Quick Reply: Who is more despicable in F1?