Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk
View Poll Results: What annoys you most on the road?
Women drivers.
4.92%
Foreign drivers.
6.56%
Cyclists.
13.11%
Buses.
6.56%
Male drivers.
1.64%
White van man.
9.84%
Motorcyclists.
1.64%
All of the above, i am a ball of rage.
39.34%
None of the above, i am as calm as a buddhist monk.
11.48%
WGAF?
4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

What annoys you most on the road?

Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 3 Biggest GRRRR IM ANGRY points

1) middle lane drivers
2) People sat doing 5mph more in the fast lane - that dont nip in to the 2nd middle lane when they see you approaching faster behind them.
3) people indicating at roundabouts to turn off when they dont actually turn off but toodle around to the next exit .....
Old 02-24-2009, 01:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ianl,Feb 24 2009, 09:43 AM
I can't believe this thread has reached page 3 without a mention of inappropriate use of fog lights!

I am continually astonished by the number of people who put their fog lights on at every opportunity...particularly when it is raining - this ranges form irritating to down right dangerous (particularly on motorways in heavy rain / spray when the fog light obscures brake lights).

And I also with tomkbucks about those infuriating fickwuts who insist on sitting at an indicated 70 (likely really 65....) in the outside lane and won't let you past cos they are doing the legal speed limit and you shouldn't be going any faster.

RON
Old 02-24-2009, 01:55 AM

I'm the first to admit I'm no angel and I've had my moments of driving like a cock and also I've made mistakes through lapese of concentration however if I get wound up by anything on the roads it's usually caused by a car being driven by a bloke.

Of course, I'm generalising here, but I think that the majority of women drivers that I encounter on the roads tend to make mistakes due to lapses in concentration, and by driving defensively I can generally avoid the "near miss" incident and hence don't get wound up by their behaviour.

Men drivers on the other hand tend to make their "mistakes" by driving like a cock. The rash overtaking move, the swift exit from a junction that you're approaching into your path when you know damn well they've seen you approaching it. Defensive driving doesn't always help in these situations and it's then that I get wound up because someone elses behaviour has caused me to have to react.

I think it's a "macho" thing, that rush of blood to the male ego.

One other thing that annoys me on the road is the colour of it, it's so dull and grey with tedious white lines down the middle, can't we have something more pleasing to look at?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GrittyShaker,Feb 24 2009, 09:59 AM
Not so much a driving trait, but does there seem to be a disproportionately large number of people with knackered headlamps these days? One light on full beam and one dipped, for example.
I have two bugbears, and cars with knackered headlights is one of them.

My journey to and from work is mostly country A & B roads without street lights. Cars with one head lamp working can make things confusing as you don't know what's coming the other way which is particularly important when its a narrow road. What makes it worse is that people with one headlamp seem to think its appropriate to put their one working headlight on full beam all the time.

A couple of times i've counted (bored on the way home) 100 cars coming the other way to find that between 5 and 8 of them have one headlight working. Thank god for speed cameras removing police officers from the road!

The other annoying one for me is people that drive at a constant 40mph on A and B roads. What makes it worse is when we get to a village or a 30mph area they continue at 40mph. :

Otherwise i'm quite relaxed on the roads.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:44 AM

MPV drivers who have a chip on their shoulder cos they have to drive a 7 seat POS
Old 02-24-2009, 02:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lower,Feb 24 2009, 11:28 AM
The other annoying one for me is people that drive at a constant 40mph on A and B roads. What makes it worse is when we get to a village or a 30mph area they continue at 40mph. :
Or worse, 30 MPH on the open road and then 40 in the 30 limit. Happens to me every day on my journey to and from work
Old 02-24-2009, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by ianl,Feb 24 2009, 09:43 AM
I can't believe this thread has reached page 3 without a mention of inappropriate use of fog lights!

I am continually astonished by the number of people who put their fog lights on at every opportunity...particularly when it is raining - this ranges from irritating to down right dangerous (particularly on motorways in heavy rain / spray when the fog light obscures brake lights).
i saw some fecking riced up idiot the other day with ONLY his fog lights on... like it made your crappy vauxhall box look any better.... i dont think so. Flashed my lights at him in case he didnt realise he had his lights off and got flipped the bird. Lovely.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:06 AM

Oh i should add lorries who just pull out and cut me up on the motorway - I don't know if it's because they can't see the trailer and assume I can move out of their way, or whether they just don't GAF. But I then end up stuck behind them for miles (on the M1 usually) because they either don' tpull back in, or they do but immediately the one infront then carves me up.

Also people who drive on roundabouts that aare queueing, and stop so you can't pull out of your road, even though your exit is perfectly clear (also applies to normal road junctions).

And recently people driving at me on my side of the road giving me glaring eyes and hand gestures, even though I'm minding my own business on MY side of the road!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar to Dreamer but from the other aspect

Cars that are in lane 2 when lane 3 is empty for miles behind them and I wish to pull out to overtake another lorry that I am fast approaching

I always check to see if they have a trailer/caravan etc before pulling out on them But if lane 3 is free and they are allowed to use it, over I go!!

EDIT: When I am in the lorry
Old 02-24-2009, 10:50 AM

In my job, I spend 100% of my time on the motorway and so I see the extremes of poor driving every day, usually several times a day! (and also on occasions, sadly, the consequences)

Was there a voting option for "All of the above"?

Lane 2 hoggers fek up the traffic flow. We're spending millions widening the M1 to 4 lanes to overcome congestion, yet day after day you will see lane 1 empty because of the CLOTs (Centre Lane Only Travellers) in lane 2

[QUOTE=ianl,Feb 24 2009, 09:43 AM]I can't believe this thread has reached page 3 without a mention of inappropriate use of fog lights!

Quick Reply: What annoys you most on the road?