Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

What 4 seater rag top for £7k

Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryB,Mar 15 2010, 07:28 PM
LadyB - The 05 3 series? If so, I don't think they changed until 06 so yes, I'd love to know what you thought. I know what the 3ltr motor is like, it's the rag top chassis and living with it that I'm interested in.

Cheers all.

Gary
OK was (IIRC) 55 plate black 3dr 320d cab fabric top - easy to get to the rev limit when getting out of the S and into that one - no surprises there. Top went up and down relatively quickly, handled well I did about 1.5k motorway miles in it and about 800miles A roads and B roads in the 3 weeks I had it, apart from slight lag on take off from stationary start which was a bit disconcerting until you got used to it. Perfectly acceptable in terms of handling and performance bearing in mind it is a saloon not a sports car.

Economy not great for a diesel, (approx 32mpg from memory cruise on motorways) although that may have been a facet of my driving style. Good spec level overall, difficult to get in and out of back seats with roof up if you were taller than 5'6" but comfy seats in the back. Wind deflector absolute god send but makes back seats unusable.

Boot OK space wise but not uber practical in configuration esp with roof down - you can get 2 adults 2 large dogs and all stuff for a week in it comfortably. Roof down you can get shopping bags in but nothing taller but it goes back a decent way (configuration). It will fit a pram and so on in it though.

Found the looks driving around Brighton (black pimp car) annoying and I know my friends who owned it had more than thier fair share of key-ing episodes and other petty crimes. It was new at the time though.

They have now got a 1 series cab which works for them, however I seriously considered this as a beater when it came up for end of life, but the price from her work was not good enough.

If you are not interested in pure performance a al S style then perfectly acceptable 4 seater option IMO.

HTH
Old 03-16-2010, 02:56 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Shipley,Mar 15 2010, 04:16 PM
I'd echo the CLK comment above. Great car as a cruiser and as they didn't change the shape for ages - its a car that doesn't really show its age.

They are very popular with women generally as they are super reliable and have an element of class about them.

Screams "Builder dun gud" round here - especially with a curly font numberplate!

The hodcarrier's wifes are normally seen in an out-of-town shopping mall car park, all in a row...
Old 03-16-2010, 03:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whilst seriously over budget for the initial purchase - in the mid-long term it will be much cheaper to own than what you're looking at. Hardly a ball of fire, but that's not what a four seater cabriolet is about IMHO.

Maintain this and you'll most likely get the same or more than you paid for it when you come to sell.

http://www.ccbenz.co.uk/30621/58066.html

Oozes class too.