Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Warning Jap GP result spoiler

Old 10-08-2017, 05:34 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Warning Jap GP result spoiler

I felt compelled to send this to the Guardian this morning!

"I’m totally disgusted by your web site. This morning like thousands of other F1 fans I have recorded the Japanese GP. WHY WHY WHY just after the finish and even before sky’s coverage had ended did you put up an article headlining Hamilton had won the GP??
If your editor had the smallest trace of a brain cell the headline would have been something like “Japanese GP see the results here”. Giving the reader the choice of seeing the content. Thank you Guardian you bunch of twats, you have ruined my Sunday, and probably that of thousands of other F1 fans, try educating your staff to think before posting.
Utterly useless behaviour."
Old 10-08-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going anywhere near the internet gernerally, and news / sport broadcaster websites in particular, whilst seeking to avoid results really isn't terribly bright.

I don't think it is The Guardian who are at fault here.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ianl
Going anywhere near the internet gernerally, and news / sport broadcaster websites in particular, whilst seeking to avoid results really isn't terribly bright.

I don't think it is The Guardian who are at fault here.
Whilst looking at general news i.e. the Kensington car crash I don't expect to see a sports headline, especially ones with total spoilers. BBC do the same on text, look at the news headlines and there's sport mingled in, I did avoid that, but to have a headline announcing Hamilton had won was just crass, as I said Sky hadn't even finished their coverage. This is the action of some dumb twat with brain disengaged who as I posted could have made a headline "Go here to see Jap F1 result". I don't see why you imagine that's me not being terribly bright.
This is the Guardian being 100% at fault, at least the BBC usually say something like "if you don't want to know the result look away" but only when it precedes match of the day.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you on this one Richmc.
I steer clear of any online content which could spoil the race for me, and the BBC are the worst. They seem to blurt out the result randomly in the morning news without a spoiler alert. They used to always give a spoiler alert before they lost the F1 to Channel 4!
I'm usually busy when the race is on TV, so I prefer to record so I can cut out the crass adverts and most of the 'informed' gossip.
I get to most of the BTCC races and record the F1 for later, but some twat in the stands always decides to let everyone know the F1 result, instead of enjoying the Touring Cars.
Rant over !!!!!
Old 10-08-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Whilst looking at general news i.e. the Kensington car crash I don't expect to see a sports headline, especially ones with total spoilers. BBC do the same on text, look at the news headlines and there's sport mingled in, I did avoid that, but to have a headline announcing Hamilton had won was just crass, as I said Sky hadn't even finished their coverage. This is the action of some dumb twat with brain disengaged who as I posted could have made a headline "Go here to see Jap F1 result". I don't see why you imagine that's me not being terribly bright.
This is the Guardian being 100% at fault, at least the BBC usually say something like "if you don't want to know the result look away" but only when it precedes match of the day.
Simply because, whatever your expectations, the reality is that if you visit news sites shortly after a major sporting event there is every probability that the result will be shown.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:56 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by ianl
Simply because, whatever your expectations, the reality is that if you visit news sites shortly after a major sporting event there is every probability that the result will be shown.

I just looked on the BBC home page, it contains two main sections:"News Headlines" and "Sport Headlines". The "spoiler" phenomenon is certainly not limited to "The Graun"...

Either way, it was a very enjoyable result
Old 10-08-2017, 11:44 PM

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

I always have a news blackout if I've recorded the GP to watch later. No radio, TV, internet. It's impossible to avoid otherwise. My family know what wrath will be incurred if they tell me, they are well trained now to ask me first I'd I've seen the race....

Still hoping for a Ferrari resurgence so it's not all done and dusted at Austin.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:56 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

It is annoying but nowadays online publishers race to get content online as fast as possible

Coupled with the clickbait phenomenon there is really no alternative to staying offline if you want to avoid the result

I logged on to email yesterday morning and caught the F1 result in a corner of the page

Fortunately the result was a foregone conclusion but in a close season I'd have been mad too
Old 10-09-2017, 02:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
I felt compelled to send this to the Guardian this morning!

"I’m totally disgusted by your web site. This morning like thousands of other F1 fans I have recorded the Japanese GP. WHY WHY WHY just after the finish and even before sky’s coverage had ended did you put up an article headlining Hamilton had won the GP??
If your editor had the smallest trace of a brain cell the headline would have been something like “Japanese GP see the results here”. Giving the reader the choice of seeing the content. Thank you Guardian you bunch of twats, you have ruined my Sunday, and probably that of thousands of other F1 fans, try educating your staff to think before posting.
Utterly useless behaviour."
The Guardian's website is disgusting.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:49 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Welcome to the 21st century.

Quick Reply: Warning Jap GP result spoiler