Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Unusual encounter with a car buyer

Old 10-19-2009, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unusual encounter with a car buyer

I have recently listed a car on Autotrader that i wish to sell and today i have received a phone call with one of the most unusual circumstances.

Basically, the guy that called sounds english but works/live in Malta. He is really interested in the car and wants to secure the car before he makes his flight to the UK to view/collect the car. His reasoning is that he does not wish that when he has booked his flight and later be told that the car is sold. So he needs the car reserved and do not mind paying a deposit.

What I don't really understand is, does Malta not have cars or is the cars there very expensive that he doesn't mind going through all this trouble? He sounds very genuine to me as he's not very fluent in his speech (ie not a prepared dialogue).

What do you think of the chances of a scammer? He gave me a landline number, which is the exact one that is shown on my caller id.

Any views appreciated.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:25 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I hate selling cars!

Did he call from Malta, and is the number genuine? I do know of a guy from Malta who came over and bought an Exige. I guess it's to do with exchange rates as a lot of Euro buyers are going to the UK.

I'm not sure how him giving you a deposit gives him any more security on the car though?? Also, if he was ocming over to buy a car, you would guess he had a few in mind?

The most obvious thing would be that he wants your bank details to make a transfer, and then somehow hacks your account. So I wouldn't give any details.

It could be genuine, but I prefer to trust nobody.

Is there any advice on Autotrader? They are often aware of the latest scams.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By all accounts a lot of cars are being exported at the moment so treat with caution but it could very well be on the level.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by MB,Oct 19 2009, 08:25 AM
Did he call from Malta, and is the number genuine?

I'm not sure how him giving you a deposit gives him any more security on the car though?? Also, if he was ocming over to buy a car, you would guess he had a few in mind?
Yeah, he called from malta, it's a +356 prefix.... so i believe it's genuine.

anyhow, he's called again and said that he's booking his flight ticket for the next few days and asked me to reserve the car for him. so no deposit invovled at the moment, and i believe i'm risk free.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:04 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 10-19-2009, 10:15 AM

A friend of mine sold a E Type to a guy in Malta a year ago. He flew over saw the car was happy and transferred the money. Part of the deal was to deliver the car to a shipping company in London which we did and it all went well.

HTH.
Good luck with it.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a shame we are all so paranoid.
But I would get a written document of export he can sign onto.
In case it ends up full of drugs in some Spanish port!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:44 PM

No we are buying cars like the plague here. Basically a change in the registration system made cars that have less emissions a good buy to get from the UK. Also the sterling to the euros is making it advantageous.

Most notable are the new range of BMW's which have around 156g emissions.

What did you list if I may ask?

What hassle is involved? You come over sign, send over everything to the DVLA and Bobs your uncle. The hassle is in Malta as you have to register everything in no time otherwise you get fined.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:17 AM

So long as you don't give out your bank details, and are happy to hold off any other buyers until he arrives then I can't see there being a problem.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by s2000malta,Oct 19 2009, 10:44 PM
What did you list if I may ask?

What hassle is involved? You come over sign, send over everything to the DVLA and Bobs your uncle. The hassle is in Malta as you have to register everything in no time otherwise you get fined.
it's a 2006 mini cooper s.

To me, the hassle invovled is that he has to fly over, drive from the airport to my location, inspect the car and finally take the car back to malta. unless the price difference in malta is a lot more than in uk, i think that's a lot of effort.

Quick Reply: Unusual encounter with a car buyer