A secondhand T350C for
Old 08-05-2005, 09:51 AM
MrV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want this one

But I'll settle for this one

Old 08-05-2005, 10:17 AM

Guy at work has one. Looks nice (from a distance) and no doubt sounds nice. BUT, the build quality is shite - no better than your average kit car imho.

E.g.

1. Window on drivers side fits on the outside of the seal instead of the inside (like the passenger side does)

2. Drivers door fit is appalling (probably reason for 1. above!)

3. Boot lid fit is similarly dire (huge gap on one side compared to the other).

And these were just the obvious things from a cursory glance.

My g/f had a Chimera a few years back. She kept it for 2 yrs and it spent as much time in the garage as on the road apparently. Alas I wasn't with her then

One good thing to be said though - she sold it for exactly what she paid for it, which cant be bad!

Maybe the newer ones are better? Still, not for me I'm afraid....

Old 08-05-2005, 10:38 AM

I was thinking recently about changing the S for something else (see here for my aborted for sale thread!)
and after test driving a Tamora and looking at a few other candidates I decided there was nothing in my price range (
Old 08-05-2005, 10:46 AM

Looks and sounds the business though

Have to agree on the build front though - I said as much to ADP (I think) when Rich turned up in the Tuscan. Lovely cars and I'd lease one in an instant. I'd never buy one of the things though.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by craig armstrong,Aug 5 2005, 04:19 PM
Hee hee, the S2ki TVR boys have told their story on a thread a few months ago - its an honest account which put me off TVRs for now

NOT

Nice to look at and listen to.
Expensive and trouble some to own
Old 08-05-2005, 12:04 PM

If you have to ask the question then i would say NOT!
Old 08-05-2005, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my '04 S2000 and bought a 6 year old Griffith 500 3 months ago.

It has not gone wrong, does not rattle and doesn't leak.

I waited for a good one but did see numerous poor examples out there when searching. If they are looked after they can be good!

We use ours regularly but not every day. I am sure the car would cope admirably but my ear drums wouldn't ..... a very nice sound indeed but very loud!

Compared to an S2K they cost alot in petrol and like an S2K they can drink oil.

The handling on the older ones is nowhere near as good as an S2K (and I mean nowhere near.... try and drive it on a road like an S2K and you WILL crash!) - I can't speak for the newer TVR's though I have been told by others they are much better.

Our Griffith has the old 'Rover' V8 rather than the new TVR designed AJP engine..... the newer engines are the ones that have been prone to going bang but again I have been told that was down to poor parts. Personally I would be a bit wary of a secondhand 'AJP' engined car such as a Tuscan or Tamora with no warranty but a new TVR now comes with a 3 year one so presumably they are better.

I do regret selling my S2000 but only because I really did like it and was comfortable driving it every day. I love the Griffith but for me it is too loud and heavy as an everyday car. My wife on the other hand prefers the TVR! It is nowhere near as refined as the S but is a completely different beast ...... beast being the -positive- operative word ...... if you know what I mean.

Every drive can induce a large grin and slightly sweaty palms - it depends what you are after!

The build quality on my TVR is fine but you can't compare a TVR with a Honda in any way at all ..... it is a hand built car and that's that. Get in touch with the local TVR owners club to discover the quirks of the different models before considering buying!
Old 08-05-2005, 01:15 PM

Have a look for PistonHeads events at http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?f=65&h=0 and come and join us...

We're a friendly bunch, I promise

As discussed on here, a great car to look at and listen to - but the S is far more refined, and in a different league for reliability. That's why we chose an S for our 1st sports car and didn't risk anything on a TVR.

Nothing burbles like a low rev Trev though
Old 08-05-2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ready S2k,Aug 5 2005, 09:15 PM
Nothing burbles like a low rev Trev though
S2000 with Invidia & test pipe sounds quite good

& when you hit 6K and head towards 9K a trev doesn't compare

Quick Reply: TVR or not?