Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Track Days

Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Track Days

Looking at booking a track day (experience day not take your own car), for my sons 21st. Does anyone have any recomendations as I have never done one before.

I'm midlands based.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snetterton I suppose. A fair bit of run off there and what looks like a nice track - one I'm keen to visit but not gotten around to yet!

No need to be all scared. Pay attention to briefing, check your mirrors on the corner exits before long straights and don't be afraid to report the odd idiot who tries to stick it up the inside of you in a corner.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:35 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

I don't think Ron has read the thread properly, this is about experience days rather than a track day in one's own car.
I was less than impressed by an experience day I did at ProDrive withEveryman but there were plenty of people there who seemed to be having a good time.
2 hours driving each way to get to the venue. A measly 4 laps, which was over in less than 10 minutes. were requested to change gear at about 4,000rpm.The whole day is geared to getting even more money out of you when you are there: "would you like to buy the additional damage waiver for £30, otherwise there is a £2k excess?"; "would you like to buy photos or a video?"; "would you like to buy extra rides?" Don't forget, the original experience wasn't exactly cheap in the first place.

A more positive review of such a day is here: https://www.s2ki.com/...st__p__23303808

And some other tips here: https://www.s2ki.com/...ar-driving-days

If you want to spend a lot more, the Palmersport days at Bedford have good reviews http://www.palmerspo...-programme.aspx

The Phil Price Rally School is a good day out too http://www.philprice...intense-course/

Another alternative is to rent a Caterham for a full day from Bookatrack http://www.bookatrack.com/track-car-hire
Old 08-31-2014, 06:07 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Have to agree with LG.

The one i done was abit of a scam really. When you do the supercar experience you are basically helping someone pay for their Ferrari and get the chance to drive it at half throttle for 4 laps. You don't experience what the car can do. The best bit of the day for me was a flying lap in an RX8 as a passenger, really enjoyed that seeing and being inside a car being driven to the ragged edge.

Personally i think your better off doing a novice trackday with someone like MSV in a reasonable car. If you cant do that then karting is good fun and well worth doing as an experience.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
I don't think Ron has read the thread properly, this is about experience days rather than a track day in one's own car.

Oops!

Waste of time those experience days. I had one bought for me an I didn't bother going on it
Old 08-31-2014, 06:20 AM

i watched one of those experience days down llandow....never seen gallardo's,f430's and a mclaren driven so slow ever...fastest thing on track was a picasso !!!!
Old 08-31-2014, 06:30 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Nottm secretly testing his missus 'bad back' replacement car
Old 08-31-2014, 06:46 AM

Old 08-31-2014, 11:23 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

I did everyman

They do ask you to change up early, but let you corner hard if they think you can drive and listen

Its expensive but driving things like a 458 aint ever gonna be cheap
Old 08-31-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Best one i've done was a formula ford experience at silverstone.

It was one the stowe circuit and we drove the cars for around 30 mins in total.

The format was a briefing and then they let you loose on the track. Initially behind a pace car, and then 15 minutes free lapping. We were then pulled into the pits, given some pointers and suggestions from the instructors and then given another 15 minutes lapping. There was no overtaking allowed, but the track was marshalled. If you were holding someone up the blue flag was shown and you had to let them past. That basically meant we were all racing and trying to catch the car in front and it be forced to let you past.

It was good fun and much better than doing a few laps in a 'supercar'.

Quick Reply: Track Days