Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

A totally unoriginal help me choose a car thread

Old 09-12-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A totally unoriginal help me choose a car thread

I know it's been done to death a thousand times but this time its for me, so indulge me please.

I recently purchased a truly hilarious piece of motoring entertainment, a 2002 Volkswagen W8 estate. 4 litres of chipped luxury with full Recaro interior. I love it. It feels as solid as the day it left the factory, has grunt in spades and is suitably Q Car to surprise hot hatches and unsuspecting sports cars.

The trouble is I've just started a new job and could be doing 15 - 20,000 miles per year. This could seriously hurt financially and and adding 20k per year (current mileage is 96,000) could be a bit much for my long term relationship with the car. Mileage allowance will be higher than 12p per mile, but lower than 45p and should be confirmed next wk. Car allowance I'd expect to be circa £5k p/a gross but there may be some flexibility on monthly budget.

My original plan was that at some point we'd move out of London and I'd keep this as a second car and I'd get something else small and light (another S2000 perhaps) or something sensible and small to do the big miles in every day. However keeping two cars in London just isn't sensible or practical.

The company are working out the car allowance / company car options - there's no co. car policy as such but we've recently been bought by a Swedish company so will probably adopt their policy. Only other person in the co. who this affects is my boss who has a car allowance.

So, options as I see them.
a) take the hit and use the VW and see how much it hurts
b) lease something good - Looked at everything from 135i, Golf GTi, Evoque, Merc A Class AMG, Giulietta, DS3
d) lease something dull - A4, 320d, Amarok, Passat Estate Diesel, one of the C220d deals etc - to do everything I need. Downside is it's not what I want although these options could be a very nice, comfortable place to spend hours in a car.
e) buy something fun - Abarth 500, Fiesta ST , Clio / Megane RS, GT86

What do I want / like? Well, I don't want a diesel, I want something fun or comfortable or both. 4 seats, but not necessarily 4 doors.

I've driven a standard 500 and it was reasonably entertaining. Hoping to test drive an Abarth at the weekend.
Fiesta ST - particularly the Mountune version which gets 5 stars in EVO this month also looks a very good option.

FWIW Buying used isn't really an option as I don't don't want to take out a loan but happy to lease or use PCP as monthly payments tie in with the car allowance.

Any other options that I've missed in terms of finance or cars that anyone can think of?

(Edited to tidy up a bit and be less rambling, I hope)
Old 09-12-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ref the gt86 comment. I assume if doing 20k a year that means a lot of motorway driving?
I was getting 40mpg on a recent road trip when cruising on motorways although that was running super unleaded and like s2000s is the recommended.
Don't know how tall you are it's a 2+2 or for me more a 2+1+1/2
Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 PM

Old 09-12-2013, 11:50 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

You didn't buy that W8 that Mr 'call me Honest John' Gaddafi was flogging did you
Old 09-12-2013, 11:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be tempted to keep the w8. Looked after it will do lunar miles. Then save some cash for a year. At 96k it's going to be of low value. Another 40k on an 02 will make little difference.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by fluffyninja
Ref the gt86 comment. I assume if doing 20k a year that means a lot of motorway driving?
I was getting 40mpg on a recent road trip when cruising on motorways although that was running super unleaded and like s2000s is the recommended.
Don't know how tall you are it's a 2+2 or for me more a 2+1+1/2
Yes, a lot of motorway miles.
I'm 6'0 and 99% of the time the back seats won't be used.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by arsie
You didn't buy that W8 that Mr 'call me Honest John' Gaddafi was flogging did you
The very same.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:51 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Those sort of miles will ruin the value of anything new and a lease would reflect that.

I commuted (more like 30k) a while ago and ruined a Vectra DTI but it was old and did 50mpg and was comfy, had a decent stereo and aircon

Is the 15-20k incl private mileage?

Diesel all the way for commutes IMO

Golf GTD is perfect
Old 09-13-2013, 03:31 AM

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Stepping out of a Golf TDi (although an older Mk4 '130).. into a 3litre E90 diesel (330d M Sport 231hp) just for doing the same 15k a year.
Pros... its a 6 cyl engine, doesn't sound like a regular derv. Incredible torque, comfortable, quiet, loaded with goodies, 45mpg is my current average mix of 70% motorway, the rest round town. If you're into that kinda thing, rempas to 285hp/500lbft and you'll see better economy if youre careful. Its also one of BMW's most reliable engines the N57.
Cons... its a diesel. Its no sports car, its heavy and they do have silly niggles that are easy to fix though. Stay well away from the 320d's, they can potentially more thirsty and have many, many engine issues including regular turbo failures.

If you can, stay with a petrol and 40mpg above sounds enticing with the '86.

For me, the 330d ticks all the boxes. It can be a real laugh when it wants to be, surprising for a diesel.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:32 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
I'd be tempted to keep the w8. Looked after it will do lunar miles. Then save some cash for a year. At 96k it's going to be of low value. Another 40k on an 02 will make little difference.
+1

Budget £5k (guess) in case something drive train goes. Plus your mileage might be low end of your estimate.

The bonus is you get to spend your hours driving in a really nice place.

Keep a journal like Gad did of his M5 miles.

Quick Reply: A totally unoriginal help me choose a car thread