Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

TOP GEAR ON SOON!

Old 11-21-2005, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Nick Graves,Nov 21 2005, 08:10 PM]Well, there goes your proof!

How much is a GT3 these days? Or a Carrera S?

But with 4x4s, toasters & radios, I think it is only the badge snobs they're after. Gaddafi is right, once again!

Clarkson makes top gear but he should give a balanced review of the car and just talk somehting down based on his agenda, it is on the BBC after all.

Also I am in fountuate postion to be able to pick the Turbo or the cayman,
Old 11-21-2005, 10:26 PM

When do you get it?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:25 PM

The Boxster s did the top gear lap in 1min 28.7 on a damp track, now I dont know what thats worth in time but its not far off the Gayman.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:48 PM

Clarkson's job is to say what he knows will provoke a reaction.

Goading Porsche buyers is like shooting fish in a barrel, questioning the descision to purchase is like questioning the sexuality of the typical Porsche buyer. Image is everything, and having a high profile TV personality openly mocking them must really smart.......

He also said he mocked the Gayman partly because his producer bought one as an investment, as a joke. A joke lost on those who 'only ever buy the best'
Old 11-22-2005, 12:01 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by grahamb,Nov 20 2005, 09:48 PM
Wow, a thread about a car-oriented television programme on a car-oriented forum.

Who'da thunk it
It's "orientated". If you want to use "oriented", please use a forum where US english is used
Old 11-22-2005, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by MarkB,Nov 22 2005, 08:48 AM
He also said he mocked the Gayman partly because his producer bought one as an investment, as a joke. A joke lost on those who 'only ever buy the best'
Ay?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Nov 22 2005, 09:01 AM
It's "orientated". If you want to use "oriented", please use a forum where US english is used
Who woke you up?

Go transport some drums or something
Old 11-22-2005, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Nov 21 2005, 08:08 PM
and some people don't like BMWs/Ferraris/Volvos etc........

he is paid to say what he thinks, not suck up to a company like the EVO twats

so it's 5 secs a lap quicker than a 911 turbo?

wonder which one I'd rather have

owners will care even less

apart from down the pub

Thats a cynical view. Don't you think that most on this forum would make their decision based on a mixture of driving the car and reviews. I would take note of what a programme like top gear say about a car. You've got Clarkson who is extreme and wants to powerslide everywhere, long haired posh bloke who wants a nice comfy chair of a car and little hobbit boy who will give a balance when Clarkson goes off on one.
I think the only people who really buy a proper sports car 100% for the label are very very rich people, most others do their research and buy the best they can.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mole,Nov 22 2005, 09:35 AM
I think the only people who really buy a proper sports car 100% for the label are very very rich people, most others do their research and buy the best they can.
I think there are many people who buy a car with image in mind. Otherwise why would the TT sell so well, dynamically its a dog, which shows through the hatchback underpinnings - indeed, mechanically you can get the same car for less than half the price by buying an Octavia 4x4 turbo.

But people don't, people buy TTs because they look nice AND because they want to make a statement - "I can afford this piece of automotive jewelry"

It's human nature to read something into the car people drive, and it's human nature to want to be seen to be doing well. Some people feel they need to show this more than others, the ones desperate to be seen as succesful often buy a Porsche. The Cayman sits in a segment above the Boxster and below the 911, but it's been hobbled by Porsche as it needs to fit into the segment they have chosen for it.

The Porsche 'Brand' (as they themselves like to call it) is seen by many as a statement of wealth, of having somehow 'made it', and will always be bought by those for whom what it does is secondary to what it says about them. For proof of this, take a look at the drivers of the plug-ugly Cayenne, they didn't buy it for the looks, they didn't buy it to off-road, a Toureg will provide the same load-carrying capaciry, so why did they buy it?
This is what Clarkson was accusing Porsche of with the chart showing how the Cayman falls into the middle ground between Boxster and 911 - it's built down to a price, they could make it more powerful, they could put a LSD in it, but they don't because it would be faster than the 911 in benchmark tests and people wouldn't aspire to the (more expensive) 911 (and they'd risk alienating existing 911 owners, who no longer had the better car), the Cayman is a car looking for a market segment, not the best Porsche could do with the technology.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by MarkB,Nov 22 2005, 09:56 AM
I think there are many people who buy a car with image in mind. Otherwise why would the TT sell so well, dynamically its a dog, which shows through the hatchback underpinnings - indeed, mechanically you can get the same car for less than half the price by buying an Octavia 4x4 turbo.

But people don't, people buy TTs because they look nice AND because they want to make a statement - "I can afford this piece of automotive jewelry"

It's human nature to read something into the car people drive, and it's human nature to want to be seen to be doing well. Some people feel they need to show this more than others, the ones desperate to be seen as succesful often buy a Porsche. The Cayman sits in a segment above the Boxster and below the 911, but it's been hobbled by Porsche as it needs to fit into the segment they have chosen for it.

The Porsche 'Brand' (as they themselves like to call it) is seen by many as a statement of wealth, of having somehow 'made it', and will always be bought by those for whom what it does is secondary to what it says about them. For proof of this, take a look at the drivers of the plug-ugly Cayenne, they didn't buy it for the looks, they didn't buy it to off-road, a Toureg will provide the same load-carrying capaciry, so why did they buy it?
This is what Clarkson was accusing Porsche of with the chart showing how the Cayman falls into the middle ground between Boxster and 911 - it's built down to a price, they could make it more powerful, they could put a LSD in it, but they don't because it would be faster than the 911 in benchmark tests and people wouldn't aspire to the (more expensive) 911 (and they'd risk alienating existing 911 owners, who no longer had the better car), the Cayman is a car looking for a market segment, not the best Porsche could do with the technology.
I agree with parts of this mark but I did try to qualify my comments with "proper sports car" and I suppose this is the crux of the matter is what you class as a proper sports car? I personally dont buy into the flaunt your car as a peice of jewelery thing, i dont use my car for work, I use my car to go for a drive and could not care whether its a Porsche s2000 or bus, to me its something that I love to drive, clean and stand back and admire.
i would love a 997 c2s and hope that in a few years I will be able to afford one, the reason I want one is because they are supposed to be a fantastic useable sports car and look stunning. I will of course drive one extensively to make sure it is for me before buying.

Quick Reply: TOP GEAR ON SOON!