Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Today I leased...

Old 06-01-2015, 10:59 PM

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Last week.... I did the same with a £27k GTD (and even cheaper at less than £200 a month!)

Initial impressions are also good, not just the "new car" thing. The seating position is perfect, even the driving mode for a sootchucker is a bit of a laugh and it does have a bit of a playful side. Leaning on those 290 torques round corners, with its faux diff, is sometimes gobsmacking. It reminds me of how well my Accord Type R used to be able to stick well through the corners - but that only of course. The radio/bluetooth system is a delight to use and connects to my M9 easy enough. Plays all my music via B/T or MDI cable, or the SD card slot. Wife & kids love it. There's supposedly a mirror system which connects to my M9, but it required phone prep and I CBA to pay for that. It's a clever touchscreen that "sees" your hand going towards the Media screen using IR sensors, popping up your options before you touch. Very clever.
I was caught out the other day with this radar braking system it has. I got a little too close to someone in front and it slammed on the brakes momentarily without me touching the pedals. Some may like, i'm not really sold on it as the car in front was turning left, I was just overtaking! So far though, for a "fun" commuter, i'm getting 60mpg! That was the purpose, completely frugal and looks a million bucks for the average Joe (in Pure white as we have, how chavvy!). Its quick, nowhere near R territory - its more of the same devastating mid range surge from 30mph upwards in 3rd gear. Overtaking is too easy to dispatch, if it wasn't for the radar nanny when you get too close (which you can switch off).

I bet you're loving the R Phil - it's one for the future for us when the mk8 arrives. VW have nailed it with the mk7, they really have.
The reported turbo issues are around a specific part failing - I wouldn't worry though on a Lease.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read about it 3 days before collection and it concerned me for all of a few minutes. At the end of the day, anyone in anything half decent could get the same, no way would a Golf be targetted specifically.

It never crossed my mind in the S when that was new that someone would put a gun to my head (or my wife's) to get my car.

If it were a 100k+ car perhaps these things should be considered... albeit largely put down as a minimal risk.

As for the engine, if it pops, it's under warranty and they can sort it, I am just renting it. Ended up a 3+23 as they messed up the finance, so comes in around 280 pcm, but with a 300 dealer contribution, only a 250 deposit (first month rental in the down payment). Truly a hire car really.

Went for a little jolly last night to get some miles under it's belt. VW policy is only 1/4 tank and I was lucky to get that, so the drive home left me with the light on really. A full tank of premium unleaded, a treat in the early says and we were off. A jolly pleasant place to be with way way more 'bits' than the boggo CRV for what's ended up costing about £20 a month more to run.

I ran the costs back against our boggo civic type S we ran for a few years and there is little between them really when considering depreciation costs, so it really seems a good deal on a new car. The looks are growing on me, it's a bit chav, but I'll get used to it.

Value for money, hard to beat if you want something new and reasonably quick.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:14 PM

the GTD for sub £200 was probably the car we should have got truth be told. I am sure the wife would have liked it just as much. The boot floor on the R is a little higher (about 3 inches apparently) to accommodate the 4wd gubbins, so boot space is at a premium (some bars and box will be on the shopping list). When we looked, the GTD was more expensive than the R so it was a no brainer for me to take the R, lease deals go like that, I guess you take your chance / choice when the deal seems right for you.

So far so good.

the deriere

Old 06-01-2015, 11:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they are a smart move. If you look at the average car scheme at work, most will give you a car of a certain level or cash to get your own. The cash is normally about 500 so getting something like this gets you a decent new commuter and cash left in your pocket.

On typical car schemes you also lose your allowance if you take the company car. Then you are taxed to heck on the cc. Its good sense if you have to have a new car. Let's also not forget that the typical car scheme is also diesel diesel diesel. You've avoided that too.

This is 6ish k for 2 years in a spanker. That's a lease that makes sense to me.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:51 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Good move. Friend has the GTI with the PP and it's properly rapid as well as handling very nicely. Genuinely a pleasant place to be.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:01 AM

Received 650 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
I think they are a smart move. If you look at the average car scheme at work, most will give you a car of a certain level or cash to get your own. The cash is normally about 500 so getting something like this gets you a decent new commuter and cash left in your pocket.

On typical car schemes you also lose your allowance if you take the company car. Then you are taxed to heck on the cc. Its good sense if you have to have a new car. Let's also not forget that the typical car scheme is also diesel diesel diesel. You've avoided that too.

£500 or so.. taxed at 40% is 300.. take off NI and that cash left in your pocket wont buy you a handjob in cheshire

i do agree they are a good option though. Dorris sunk £16k into a Golf GTD as her cash for cars needs below a certain age.

I think the old one cost us £4k depreciation but we'll see whether this is worse than £2.4k a year, i think it probably (certainly) will be! She dinged the front lower bumper so mr lease would have got the lube out over that one i guess though.

Its a dull car to drive though, i find myself obsessing over MPG as that's the best bit. I could live with one but would only bother with the GTD over the I if i was doing mileage
Old 06-02-2015, 01:15 AM

We do little miles, i'd be surprised if we do much over 5k a year, so mpg certianly not on my radar. however I did return from circa 30 miles of mixed driving last night at 32mpg. that's same as the CRV so plenty for me.

My biggest fear is the first time it's clearly too small for our needs, which will be rare, but it will come up. Do you buy a BIG car for the 2 ro 3 times a year you need to load it up, or just accept that a smaller car is in many ways better suited to your average lifestyle and you just struggle on those odd occasions.

Let's see how that goes.

I must say, my wife is being extremely understanding so far... how long will that last. She'd prefer her sisters 1.4tdi A3 sportback (s-line naturally, she thinks that's amazing!)
Old 06-02-2015, 01:23 AM

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

I keep reminding the wife its not OURS, and to look after it. The £20 tax a year (although first year is free) and excellent mpg was a no brainer for us. The R represents much more fun, I still think they will be an attractive option when our 2 years comes up. The R will only really make any difference in progress on B roads, or countryside blats. Otherwise, it's not going to be any different on day to day 20-30mph roads.
Looks beautiful in Red Phil.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:34 AM

Received 650 Likes on 566 Posts

that last bit makes little sense imo.

why buy the GTD when you could get a bluemotion and 70mpg?
Old 06-02-2015, 01:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Originally Posted by cheshire_carper' timestamp='1433230545' post='23633006

£500 or so.. taxed at 40% is 300.. take off NI and that cash left in your pocket wont buy you a handjob in cheshire

i do agree they are a good option though. Dorris sunk £16k into a Golf GTD as her cash for cars needs below a certain age.

I think the old one cost us £4k depreciation but we'll see whether this is worse than £2.4k a year, i think it probably (certainly) will be! She dinged the front lower bumper so mr lease would have got the lube out over that one i guess though.

Its a dull car to drive though, i find myself obsessing over MPG as that's the best bit. I could live with one but would only bother with the GTD over the I if i was doing mileage
Let's assume you get the cost of the lease, ie 280....you'll get more but let's assume you don't. You then have no tax burden. Thus its cash in pocket AND you get a far more fun car than a typical car scheme will offer

Quick Reply: Today I leased...