Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Today I leased...

Old 06-19-2015, 03:57 AM

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 JFW
Rather than what looks nasty, what goes like stink and is amazing despite being diesel and other things which are never compared for obvious reasons. Oh, and the person who thinks 2wd is so usable daily that there's virtually no reason to require 4wd.

So.. any updates on the car this is written about? The only Golf I'm likely to purchase as a replacement for my Golf?
4wd these days is largely irrelevant. Helpful in 8 inches of snow for added traction, helpful for traffic light launches
Old 06-19-2015, 05:19 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
Originally Posted by Nottm_S2' timestamp='1434703942' post='23653319
That R mpg makes the GTD pointless

Incredible what these new turbo motors can do really, apparently people are starting to shun diesels now as the more tractable petrol turbos are getting such great MPG

not a factor for me as i do sub 10k a year and half of that is in my S2, to put it into context

at 116p per litre you're paying £5.26 a gallon

5000 miles at 20mpg = 250gallons or £1315

5000 miles at 40mpg = 125gallons or £657

5000 miles at 60mpg = 83.33gallons £438

so less than £900 difference between a bluemotion and an M3
Depends on your monthly outgoings. I get 20mpg better than the R, even more if its delicately wafted. The more spirited drives = low 40's. Then spirited drives in the R = low 20's, perhaps below that into the teens. The car will work it all out for you on its fancy computer.
You'll save a wedge more in the GTD, period. You'll get bored more though. In respect of that, it's all round economy versus fun for the cost £'s equation. We'd be spending more in fuel with an R, more tax (£20 a year in GTD versus £185), higher insurance (£200 a year more) and we only WANT to afford that in a couple of years. We like nice holidays, at the moment running an R would intervene that what with our nursery bills (which are soon to finish). I've no doubt we will turn our back on diesel when we feel it right to in 2 years time as our main car. We wanted something new that was very frugal, looked gorgeous and had a beautiful interior, 4 doors and when it wanted to be, plenty quick. It ticked the boxes. Fun comes last, but, all the same - fun does exist just 'cos its nippy especially in the mid range and helped with its faux trick diff at the twisties. I've driven it 90%, the thing just won't understeer!
I suspect that if you're stupid, you'll drive a lease car at 100% when it's not yours (and by the sounds of it, some bird brains are remapping them EVEN understanding that on VAG service, it can be sniffed out by software if the ECU has been compromised. The age old joke is that because its not yours, "drive it like you stole it" but I always take care of what I borrow.

Ultimately , it IS a mk7 diesel wearing a GTi kit after all with a utilitarian engine (so its a bit fake in a sense of a performance car). Its lukewarm fun, it is much, much better to drive than older dervs from the VAG stable, honest. Pretty planted, surefooted and has little lag which is the surprise for a single turbo diesel. I'm not into remapping anymore, I understand the temptation of it and I did it to my old tdi 130, UP TO 180 BHP. I wouldn't consider it now - If I want outright performance i'd go GTI/R within the VW stable, or something else. Why didn't I opt for the slightly cheaper and 5mpg better tdi 150 bluemotion? Looks a bit drab, equipment not the same and verges on a bit ordinary. I'm not interested in the plain looks - we have one of those already with our mk5.

I'll admit, at times I wish it was drinking different fuel and the shame of saying that - for a diesel, its gobsmackingly good. Overall, as a package for what we wanted as a family of four, its exactly the car we wanted since test driving one. Now our mk5 tdi feels like a tank in comparison!

Its a bargain for less than £200 a month. Boring for most, but we like it.

Who cares... it's a golf...
Old 06-19-2015, 08:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
Originally Posted by C7 JFW' timestamp='1434710084' post='23653365
Rather than what looks nasty, what goes like stink and is amazing despite being diesel and other things which are never compared for obvious reasons. Oh, and the person who thinks 2wd is so usable daily that there's virtually no reason to require 4wd.

So.. any updates on the car this is written about? The only Golf I'm likely to purchase as a replacement for my Golf?
4wd these days is largely irrelevant. Helpful in 8 inches of snow for added traction, helpful for traffic light launches
I disagree. I wouldn't knowingly ever own a Front wheel drive car again.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jml
Originally Posted by s2k4tony' timestamp='1434714919' post='23653428
[quote name='Nottm_S2' timestamp='1434703942' post='23653319']

Incredible what these new turbo motors can do really, apparently people are starting to shun diesels now as the more tractable petrol turbos are getting such great MPG

not a factor for me as i do sub 10k a year and half of that is in my S2, to put it into context

Depends on your monthly outgoings. I get 20mpg better than the R, even more if its delicately wafted. The more spirited drives = low 40's. Then spirited drives in the R = low 20's, perhaps below that into the teens. The car will work it all out for you on its fancy computer.
You'll save a wedge more in the GTD, period. You'll get bored more though. In respect of that, it's all round economy versus fun for the cost £'s equation. We'd be spending more in fuel with an R, more tax (£20 a year in GTD versus £185), higher insurance (£200 a year more) and we only WANT to afford that in a couple of years. We like nice holidays, at the moment running an R would intervene that what with our nursery bills (which are soon to finish). I've no doubt we will turn our back on diesel when we feel it right to in 2 years time as our main car. We wanted something new that was very frugal, looked gorgeous and had a beautiful interior, 4 doors and when it wanted to be, plenty quick. It ticked the boxes. Fun comes last, but, all the same - fun does exist just 'cos its nippy especially in the mid range and helped with its faux trick diff at the twisties. I've driven it 90%, the thing just won't understeer!
I suspect that if you're stupid, you'll drive a lease car at 100% when it's not yours (and by the sounds of it, some bird brains are remapping them EVEN understanding that on VAG service, it can be sniffed out by software if the ECU has been compromised. The age old joke is that because its not yours, "drive it like you stole it" but I always take care of what I borrow.

Ultimately , it IS a mk7 diesel wearing a GTi kit after all with a utilitarian engine (so its a bit fake in a sense of a performance car). Its lukewarm fun, it is much, much better to drive than older dervs from the VAG stable, honest. Pretty planted, surefooted and has little lag which is the surprise for a single turbo diesel. I'm not into remapping anymore, I understand the temptation of it and I did it to my old tdi 130, UP TO 180 BHP. I wouldn't consider it now - If I want outright performance i'd go GTI/R within the VW stable, or something else. Why didn't I opt for the slightly cheaper and 5mpg better tdi 150 bluemotion? Looks a bit drab, equipment not the same and verges on a bit ordinary. I'm not interested in the plain looks - we have one of those already with our mk5.

I'll admit, at times I wish it was drinking different fuel and the shame of saying that - for a diesel, its gobsmackingly good. Overall, as a package for what we wanted as a family of four, its exactly the car we wanted since test driving one. Now our mk5 tdi feels like a tank in comparison!

[/quote]

And he said period (and then put a full stop) ....again.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
Originally Posted by jml' timestamp='1434719951' post='23653486
[quote name='s2k4tony' timestamp='1434714919' post='23653428']
[quote name='Nottm_S2' timestamp='1434703942' post='23653319']

[/quote]

And he said period (and then put a full stop) ....again.
[/quote]

Hook line and sinker... All for the lure of a chesh post. ;-D
Old 06-19-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 650 Likes on 566 Posts

I was being facietious but i get your point entirely

I think Chesh is just envoius of the ability to do 70 miles without involving a flatbed
Old 06-19-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
I was being facietious but i get your point entirely

I think Chesh is just envoius of the ability to do 70 miles without involving a flatbed
Bless him, he is entirely loved. I was posting at work, and forgot to edit most. I know his humour, I'm never offended :-)
Old 06-19-2015, 11:18 AM
jml

Time to get a 2cv....MPG out of this world...
Old 06-19-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to Cornwall in my s4 this week. Only had to stop for fuel twice, on the way
Old 06-19-2015, 11:55 AM
jml

Well it only has a 16.9 gallon fuel tank...

Quick Reply: Today I leased...