Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Today I leased...

Old 06-11-2015, 02:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nott you can buy my cat when its built and I'm bored
Old 06-11-2015, 02:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine the bean counters will see a return on the R&D invested in the civic, they simply wont sell enough for it to be commercially viable. I hope they do as the more options in the sector the better, but I think they've made life very difficult for themselves.

It's dog ugly and it cannot compete in terms of ownership / purchase / lease costs with it's competitors. The fact it's £30k and as are the rest is largely irrelevant, who walks into showrooms and puts down £30k these days? It's all about the monthly's and over 2 years my golf is (pro rata) about £6k cheaper than the civic.

I bet an M3/4 is available at a similar dep/montly to the Civic. They are in dreamland.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:02 AM

Received 650 Likes on 566 Posts

but this is pre release right? maybe that will change? I am old skool, when i bought the M3 i did exactly what you describe people not doing.
they are aiming this at the Renno, scooby, Focca RS brigade, not yours and the M135i which i think are aimed squarely at us (me) more mature enthusiasts

and i would never buy a french car in 1 billion years so i guess it has the appeal there, i've never liked Fords either.

is it too chav for my drive? probably. as a daily i am fully aware Cheshs' cat will not be suitable so maybe as a daily who knows? i like the seats

it would replace the M so would need to be able to be a GT but turbo cars do a lot better MPG than the old high revving NA
Old 06-11-2015, 03:36 AM

I bought my S cash (part mine, part personal bank loan) so didn't use a finance option, which in hindsight may not have been that wise, but Honda were not offering anything to entice me in to a finance deal, the same seems to be the case on the new Civic, it hardly makes it attractive financially.

I know what you are saying about the comp, perhaps the Ford and Reno are more in its sights, but neither of them will sell in any grat volume either, the R and 135 will out sell those 3 combined I am sure, not because they are 'better' that is subjective, but they are cheaper.

I can't imagine the Ford nor Reno are available for anything like what BM and VW are offering.

Strange one, loss leaders? who knows, but we do know that my Golf isn't going to be worth 6.5k less than a new one when I give it back, more like 8/9 min I should imagine.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:38 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by phil121081
I can't imagine the bean counters will see a return on the R&D invested in the civic, they simply wont sell enough for it to be commercially viable. I hope they do as the more options in the sector the better, but I think they've made life very difficult for themselves.

It's dog ugly and it cannot compete in terms of ownership / purchase / lease costs with it's competitors. The fact it's £30k and as are the rest is largely irrelevant, who walks into showrooms and puts down £30k these days? It's all about the monthly's and over 2 years my golf is (pro rata) about £6k cheaper than the civic.

I bet an M3/4 is available at a similar dep/montly to the Civic. They are in dreamland.
Looks as if you don't get the concept. That pumped up civic isn't meant to be sold in great numbers. It's there to entice wannabe boyracers to buy it's 'lesser' siblings...
Old 06-11-2015, 03:39 AM
jml

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
and i would never buy a french car in 1 billion years so i guess it has the appeal there, i've never liked Fords either.
Fortunately you do keep an open mind about it.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:46 AM

and what is the lesser model?

the one driven by the local bowls team? I can't see many wannabe's opting for those, the current gen civic was never estined to have a Type R model. polishing a turd just makes a mess.

Honda have lost their way in a big way and it's been coming for years.

Just to reiterate, I am sure it will be hugely capable and will take the Ring fastest lap, but I can't imagine I'll see many on the road. Which is a shme when you consider the success of previous models. But they were not 30k
Old 06-11-2015, 03:57 AM
jml

Originally Posted by phil121081
and what is the lesser model?

the one driven by the local bowls team? I can't see many wannabe's opting for those, the current gen civic was never estined to have a Type R model. polishing a turd just makes a mess.

Honda have lost their way in a big way and it's been coming for years.

Just to reiterate, I am sure it will be hugely capable and will take the Ring fastest lap, but I can't imagine I'll see many on the road. Which is a shme when you consider the success of previous models. But they were not 30k
Don't be so parochial..

http://www.ibtimes.com/here-are-july...nissan-1645592
Old 06-11-2015, 04:04 AM

nice word (had to look it up )

a valid point.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought 3 reasonably priced cars cash last year. I think you'd be surprised how many do.

Quick Reply: Today I leased...