Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

those new range rover things.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had an extended test drive of an Evoque this weekend.

It's too small.

If you think of it as a mid sized hatchback 4x4 (Vitara type of thing), it's fine (if expensive), but for a family with dogs and to tow a race car and all the kit, it's just not big enough.
We drove the diesel and it drove pretty well, good handling, nicely done interior, decent poke from the engine - a decent drive all round really.

But there's very little room in the rear (yet another car where the rear seats will be uncomfortable for anyone over child size, but perversely the window line is so high, children can't easily see out) and the boot is small considering the dimensions.

Frankly, it's another MINI - looks good, fashionable, drives well and is well put together, more of a car than it's 'fashion victim' image might portray at first - but the packaging is poor and rear passengers and load space are compromised considering the outside dimensions.

A pricey (we specced ours at £38k) Golf alternative, but not a 'do everything' family car. Shame. because other than that, we liked it.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:03 AM

Interesting comments Mark.

I quite like the looks but have always suspected it would be too small for my requirements (sufficiently large to take family on holidays to France for example).

I ended up choosing an XC60 which I've owned for a few months now and no regrets whatsoever. Reasonably highly specced, the XC60 came in at around £38k too but I bought mine through Drive the Deal and got £6.5k off list.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:37 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I cannot knock RR for making the sort of Fashion Victim stuff the market demands; better than the old BLMC days when the cars were so frumpy, only a science teacher would buy one.

It's mostly that stupid roofline that pisses me off - the three-door apparently uses the same panel, simply raked even worse!

What's the betting the next-gen has a slightly less stupid roofline?

The flipside is, it makes the Freeloader look a lot more honest.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark - pretty accurate assessment I'd say I'm sure JLR would be more than pleased if it was as successful as the "new" Mini. All three of the 5th gear nuggets raved about it which I was surprised at. They are normally a lot more objective than MR Clarkson crew.
smnasn - interesting alternative, how you finding it? I'm due a beater change soon.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:39 AM

I was invited to the launch of the Evoque here in Malta.

Its the size of a Qashqai length wise. Breath wise, its a bit wider.

Its looks and hanling are good and is a decent family car which will fit into decent parking spaces.

My Freelannder 2 is still an excellent car, as refined but without the gloss.

Its longer though and feels bulkier so it might time to downsize.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by mikey k
smnasn - interesting alternative, how you finding it? I'm due a beater change soon.
I'm really happy with it. Decent quality, spacious, effortless to drive, it does everything it says on the tin and is a bit different from the norm too. The 5 pot motor is quite characterful, and although by no means fast it has that quite satisfying immovable object meets unstoppable force feel that you get with big cars being shifted by grunty motors.

The only thing I'd complain about is the sensus infotainment system is a bit buggy at times albeit the latest software update fixes a lot of issues and the sound quality of the system itself is very good.

I'd certainly recommend giving one a try
Old 10-26-2011, 12:09 PM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Saw a black one today near Jack Straws Castle it was black, and at a glance seemed even more like a drugs dealers bling vagon than the RR sport , with its chopped down sort of roofline
Old 10-26-2011, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000malta
My Freelannder 2 is still an excellent car, as refined but without the gloss.
You would be surprised how much it shares
Old 10-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
Saw a black one today near Jack Straws Castle it was black, and at a glance seemed even more like a drugs dealers bling vagon than the RR sport , with its chopped down sort of roofline
I'm sure that's deliberate

It's a popular look/fantasy for many buyers
Old 10-27-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah, it's really laughable when some weedy, middle-aged honky dweeb falls out of it.

Quick Reply: those new range rover things.