Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Tesla v Top Gear

Old 03-31-2011, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Nah, factual reviews are mind-numbingly boring and are invariably prejudiced. cf. the whole electric thing.

Top Gear is irreverent and the presenters' personal chemistry is good, which is why it's the only watchable one.

Maybe Tesla ought to fit the car with a range-extender engine. I dunno, a smallish Toyota unit? They could then seriously downsize the motors & battery. Oh, hang on...
I think the only decent presenter in TG is James May and he never gets air time because he talks about interesting, engineering stuff and has a brain between his ears/link between brain and mouth.

Hammond and Clarkson are immature and just childish, for a family programme it is amazing what they get away with and quite frankly, the language used is often very inapprpriate for a pre watershed show.

Fifth Gear is certainly better if you want a car show. TG used to be a good entertainment show but the staging and these mega races have ruined it. I mean going to the Middle East for Xmas, why!? The cars seem to be second priority and the show has turned into a parade ground for Clarkson, Hammond and some extent May to bolster their egos and be idiots.

I can take or leave TG now, it really needs revamping. I hope Tesla win this just so the producers have to think again.

Graham
Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

You dunno why they went to the Middle East. At Christmas?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FurballS2000
why are they making such a fuss now, they tested it a few years ago! Are they releasing a new car sometime soon and want to get their name around?
Because they haven't sold any, are bitter and twisted and want to get some money into the pot.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:57 PM

Well ok, but they didn't need to go and the test proved nothing.

I am sounding more like my Dad everyday I swear! I'm only 23, what is going to happen when I get to his age, my Dad is going to be staring back at me, arggghhhh!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by gbduo
Originally Posted by Nick Graves' timestamp='1301597403' post='20416677

I am sounding more like my Dad everyday I swear! I'm only 23, what is going to happen when I get to his age, my Dad is going to be staring back at me, arggghhhh!!!
I didn't realise you were 23! Mind you, I saw through a lot of bullshit when I was 23 that everyone else was taken in by, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

TBH, TG is a silly lighthearted magazine programme and the production costs of smashing up some old rubbish are relatively low. By the time you've stuffed Anna Maxwell Martin in a handmade bodice & lit a country house properly, all that tedious heaving-bosom sunday night stuff is a lot more costly.

Also, have you driven a modern car lately? Even if they tried a serious review, they'd need Anna Maxwell Martin in a tight bodice to keep it interesting.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by jammy_rex
I for one am definitely fed up of Top Gear's staging... It's been the same for the last few series now in that most of the time they're not even funny! Just variations on stunts they've pulled before... Just cringeworthy! This format of TG is well past it's sell by date now...
You know there's an "Off" button, don't you?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by gbduo' timestamp='1301608654' post='20417395
[quote name='Nick Graves' timestamp='1301597403' post='20416677']

I didn't realise you were 23! Mind you, I saw through a lot of bullshit when I was 23 that everyone else was taken in by, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

TBH, TG is a silly lighthearted magazine programme and the production costs of smashing up some old rubbish are relatively low. By the time you've stuffed Anna Maxwell Martin in a handmade bodice & lit a country house properly, all that tedious heaving-bosom sunday night stuff is a lot more costly.

Also, have you driven a modern car lately? Even if they tried a serious review, they'd need Anna Maxwell Martin in a tight bodice to keep it interesting.
[/quote]

Yeh I agree, its cheap viewing, but entertaining in parts. I just get annoyed by Clarkson and Hammond's childish nature, but it can often be overlooked for the cars and I like James May so, i'm not going to stop watching it! Its better than almost everything on BBC except, Silk, Spooks, Waking the Dead and Silent Witness! Thats it, shame really given how big the BBC is. I don't know why they keep doing slow paced period dramas, how dreary and boring.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 AM

For old farts like me who like Dickens & shit and cannot follow these confused, plotless, characterless modern stuff!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:54 AM

Damn you old people!

Old 04-01-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by GarethB
Originally Posted by jammy_rex' timestamp='1301531529' post='20413967
I for one am definitely fed up of Top Gear's staging... It's been the same for the last few series now in that most of the time they're not even funny! Just variations on stunts they've pulled before... Just cringeworthy! This format of TG is well past it's sell by date now...
You know there's an "Off" button, don't you?
You know what, strangely enough I do. But, thanks for pointing that out to me all the same!

However, there is something compelling about watching the show go into meltdown, and finding out how bad those appalling "challenges", that are almost too cringeworthy for words, can get.

Quick Reply: Tesla v Top Gear