Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Suitable car for daughter

Old 07-10-2008, 11:39 AM
CB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suitable car for daughter

Looking to buy a car for my daughter to use when she starts to drive in August - was initially keen on a newish 2.2 CDTI Civic but am not sure on spending 15K+ on a car that will be mostly for her use.

Need something reasonably powerful as she will be towing her dinghy which will be around 500kg with trailer.

Am thinking diesel for consumption but then with current prices is there really a big difference.

Not too worried on insurance group but I guess lower the better.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

towing and new driver ???

are you going to teach her? think about sending her on a course with the National Trailer & Towing Association. There are limitations that didn't apply when you (or I) were younger and perhaps having to tow. Although it would have to be a bloody heavy dinghy to fall foul of these newer rules.

most new drivers are lucky to have a
Old 07-10-2008, 03:21 PM

Does your daughter know how lucky she is?? Wish you were my dad.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=CB,Jul 10 2008, 07:39 PM] Looking to buy a car for my daughter to use when she starts to drive in August - was initially keen on
Old 07-11-2008, 12:47 AM

How heavy is the dinghy?

This makes a big difference to the type of car she'll be able to use.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:47 AM

The new civic are not the easist to see out of/ judge the bonnet lenghts etc.

I would get a older safe car, with clearly visable edges.

She will smash/bash the Civic, and it will be far more expensive to repair than a old 306 or something..

/and i wish my dad got me a first car like like.. 1.1 Fiesta for the win.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:07 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Mate of mine got old cars for his three daughters, for the reasons stated above.

Proved wise with middle daughter especially, whose Polo got bent within a week of her passing her test; by a brainless slit pulling out across her at a roundabout, who then gave daughter loads of attitude!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:19 AM
CB

Thanks Gents, sage advice! yes I understand that towing rules have changed - have been towing boats for several years now - with her as passenger so she should have picked something up!! She also did the under 17 driver day at Car Limits a few months back (my excuse or a day with Andy Walsh) so she has something of a clue now.

Anyone have experience of the new Mini - they are going for a reasonable price now and are "girly" stylish....

My dad gave me his old HB Viva when I passed my test - had to pay to have it towed a week later as it was so broken!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:53 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd say any old-skool car that you have to drive trains one to become a better driver.

The HB Viva had the most abrupt clutch this side of a F1 car, but a lovely gearchange & steering. The engine was made of chocolate, so it went well until it blew.

The Mini's all a bit over-assisted, but it might do the job.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:57 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

It's definitely a good idea to find out insurance costs for various models before doing anything else. A 2l Mondeo will be horrendous for a 17-year old, for example.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely that any of the sensible insurance-priced cars are capable of towing a dinghy.

A newer car will come with all the airbags and safety stuff so will protect her better in the event of a big crash.

One of the far eastern manufacturers (Hyundai or Kia) is probably your best bet. Failing that, (and it pains me to say it) but a French car is also probably worth investigating as their diesels are probably better equipped for towing.

Quick Reply: Suitable car for daughter