Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Suggest a car for my father-in-law

Old 05-11-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlyWW,May 11 2009, 11:14 AM
as he will be doing a lot of short local runs
That's about the only reason to go for any sort of hybrid. If you're going anything faster than city centre driving you're just driving a relatively heavy car with a good efficiency petrol engine (although not great compared to a diesel). You can get then modified to plug in hybrids on older ones (no warranty) or wait for the newer prius which will be plug in. Should save a few trips to the petrol station.

As has been said comparing a Prius to a 530d on a trans-european tour is to miss the point somewhat. Compare the 530d to a hybrid on a month long city centre only drive in Manchester/London or similar. You'd probably get a reverse decision about which is better but then that would be missing the point of the BMW.

Considering he's after something a little smaller than a 75 but economical it sounds like a Vauxhall Signum Diesel might be his cup of tea. Considering GM's state you might pick up a bargain too.

Apart from that which seems a bit of a halfway house sounds like he's after a C-segment car so you're talking Civic/Auris/Focus/Golf/Astra/Megane/307/1-Series/A3/Octavia/Leon

Wouldn't touch the french ones. Too many gremlins and too poor a service generally.
1-series is generally pointless and too compramised by the RWD layout for a car of it's size.
Of the VAG cars you may as well save your money and leave out the A3 and Golf.
Auris I do know is absolutely bullet proof but they do feel cheap inside and there are better options (and this is coming from me remember!)
I have personal issues with Honda (had big issues with a Honda dealer and then how HUK delt with it) so can never recommend them to anyone again.

You're down to Focus, Astra, Leon and Octavia after that. From those they're all pretty much of a much
Old 05-12-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chhers for the replies everyone. Think we've rulled out a diesel due to the need to do lots of short runs. Also rulled out the 1 series as too small and too expensive.
Likewise I wouldn't suggest a new Honda as dealers as just not that good and also very expensive. My dad once had an Accord but sold it after the first couple of services due to the expense and attitude of the dealers.
Also I'd never buy anything French.
So that leaves Focus / Astra / Leon to look at or possibly back to the Prius.