Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Stupid Question

Old 12-15-2010, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Question

Do dealer's ever accept trade-ins that are worth more than the car you want to buy from them and so give you cash as well as the car?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe so, although unless it is a car they are likely to put on their forecourt, expect bottom price for it.

Expect bottom price for it anyway, but if you want cash too, expect bottom bottom.

Better off selling private and buying new car cash.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by phil121081,Dec 15 2010, 10:19 AM
I believe so, although unless it is a car they are likely to put on their forecourt, expect bottom price for it.

Expect bottom price for it anyway, but if you want cash too, expect bottom bottom.

Cheers Phil, that's what I suspected.

I've put my car up for sale privately this week but obviously it's not a great time of year to be selling so I don't expect it to shift particularly quickly.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:23 AM

They will, but you'll walk funny for a while afterwards.

As above, flog privately if you can.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:18 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

to give you an idea

I was offered £8K for a five month old MINI One in mint condition (against a five year old car)

they forecourt for around £11995

all you can do is work out what you want back after the trade

and walk away if you don't get it
Old 12-15-2010, 07:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by phil121081,Dec 15 2010, 10:19 AM

Normally I would agree.

Unless the car you offload has problems, or the market is depressed and you cannot wait for a lift.

I got a better trade in value with my Renault than I could make on the private sale though.
I tried both routes and was happy to PX to a BMW franchise - and I couldn't lever much off the ticket price for cash.
Quite an odd deal thinking about it, but the price to trade was fair so it happened.

I think the guy had a connection to the Renault dealer nearby.
Probably complete luck they wanted that car at that precise time for a client as the yellow R26 is not that common.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 253 Likes on 218 Posts

I often gave cash back to customers who were downsizing, first get a valuation of the BM against something dearer to get a true bargaining figure, not all sales peeps are as "honest" as I was.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by martin j,Dec 16 2010, 09:20 PM
I often gave cash back to customers who were downsizing, first get a valuation of the BM against something dearer to get a true bargaining figure, not all sales peeps are as "honest" as I was.
Would the sales person not then be likely to say if I'm after a cheaper car the offer for my car would be less?

Plus I assume the price of the car I want to but won't be open to negotiation?
Old 12-16-2010, 12:19 PM

Received 253 Likes on 218 Posts

If you get a price against a standard deal, ie your car plus cash, then you'll know if the salesman is trying it on when you go for your cashback deal, after all, your car is worth £X (or should be) regardless of the deal.
The car you buy will have profit of £Y built in whether you are trading up or down, so the dealer will make his money on that regardless, the lower price he gives you for yours just means he will have a bigger margin when he sells your old car. If you were selling your car to the dealer simply for cash, that's when the value of your car will drop , cause he wants to maximise his profit to allow for the loss of of profit due to no sale to you.
Feck me, hope that makes sense and helps.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by martin j,Dec 16 2010, 10:19 PM
If you get a price against a standard deal, ie your car plus cash, then you'll know if the salesman is trying it on when you go for your cashback deal, after all, your car is worth £X (or should be) regardless of the deal.
The car you buy will have profit of £Y built in whether you are trading up or down, so the dealer will make his money on that regardless, the lower price he gives you for yours just means he will have a bigger margin when he sells your old car. If you were selling your car to the dealer simply for cash, that's when the value of your car will drop , cause he wants to maximise his profit to allow for the loss of of profit due to no sale to you.
Feck me, hope that makes sense and helps.
Cheers Martin

Quick Reply: Stupid Question